Don't Shoot Me - MSN MESSENGER

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by daryliow, Nov 24, 2007.

1. daryliow macrumors regular

Please don't have a go if this has been mentioned a million times before but i couldn't find a thread for it after spending half an hour looking.

I converted from Rubbish PC yesterday to the latest Macbook and believe me I'm one happy bunny. But i do have one small annoying issue.

All my friends use MSN Messenger with Webcams, but this function doesn't seem to be available to me. I'm using the latest MAC:Messenger which i thought i'd be able to use my isight camera on.

Am i being stupid or can you not use webcam on this? If you cant are MSN Messenger doing anything about this?

Tanks for all your help guys.

One happy Mac Owner.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It comes in the next version of Windows Live Messenger, for now there is Mercury, which doesn't look very nice...for regular use I use Adium :)

3. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

No video support on MSN: Mac yet.

Coming later next year, apparently after Office 08. We've all been waiting for years, welcome to the club. There are a few almost-solutions. I believe a few third-party clients will work with video, but no audio. You could also have your PC using friends use Skype, which has very good video chatting capabilities.

4. daryliow thread starter macrumors regular

When is this next Version Due out? Plus if i use the other chat programs i wouldn't be able able to talk to my friends on MSN would i?
    Could someone clear this up for me.

Cheers

5. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

You can use aMSN which works with webcam...

6. daryliow thread starter macrumors regular

Do you know where to download this from? can i still talk to my msn contacts on it?

cheers

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Yes, the other chat programs (Mercury, aMsn, Adium) would let you talk to your friends on Msn. Adium is the only one out of the 3 I just mentioned that doesn't currently support video chat, and will have it in the next version I believe.

Edit: Surely a google search isn't going to kill you?;)

8. stevey500 macrumors 6502

get the MeBeam plugin for adium !!.

For webchatting...
    It's intense, it work, trust me.

try it.

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

But works in your web browser.

However, it does work really well, there's quite a delay on the audio I've found, but hell it's better than nothing, and it works with pretty much anything because of the web interface. You can even shut down Adium after you've got it running. :)