Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blubird2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
I recently had a session at the Apple store to learn about my new iPad and iPhone. I was told that pressing the home button twice and then swiping up to close the apps that are open is similar to pressing control alt delete on a PC.
Supposedly Apple recommends that the apps are to be left open.
Any thoughts?

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
Swiping up on the apps will quit them, yes.

Honestly I very rarely quit anything on my iphone, except for the occasional app that may be glitching. Example: yesterday my facebook app stopping loading anything. I closed it and reopened it and all is good again.

On my old iPad I keep very few apps running, but only because it is severely limited by its RAM.

dilap

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2014
London, UK
I recently had a session at the Apple store to learn about my new iPad and iPhone. I was told that pressing the home button twice and then swiping up to close the apps that are open is similar to pressing control alt delete on a PC.
Supposedly Apple recommends that the apps are to be left open.
Any thoughts?

That's probably because you might lose progress in a game or data when you close the app. Apple don't you complaining that the device wiped the data and want a full refund.

Mechayoshi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2014
The Mushroom Kingdom
If an app is using up data in the background or something you'll want to close it anytime you aren't using it. Other than that, apps will "freeze" so it's fine to leave them open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.