Don't swipe up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blubird2, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Blubird2 macrumors newbie

I posted this in the Ipad forum then I realized it would probably receive more views on this one.

I recently had a session at the Apple store to learn about my new iPad and iPhone. I was told that pressing the home button twice and then swiping up to close the apps that are open is similar to pressing control alt delete on a PC.
    Supposedly Apple recommends that the apps are to be left open.
    Any thoughts?

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I never close apps and I just let the iOS do it's business in managing memory on it's own. Only apps that I force close is Facebook and other apps that uses location.

3. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

I was at an Apple conference last spring where they said the same thing, that iOS is designed to have the apps remain open without hurting battery life or performance. If the phone needs more memory, it intelligently decides which apps to close, there's no need for the user to manually close applications.

Now some people, myself included, just feel better about doing it ourselves. Whenever I use my phone in the morning I check many social media accounts, web sites, apps, etc. I then close all open apps when I put my phone down so I know nothing is running during the day while I'm at work.

4. TSKY74 macrumors regular

TSKY74

Good to know if that's a fact. Thanks for the tip.

5. arson macrumors member

Those are recently opened apps, but not necessarily still open, running or using any system resources. If you are having issues with an app quitting or other irregular behavior, by all means, clear it out using the method you described. If you're doing it to save battery by quitting all apps, don't bother, it won't save your battery at all.