Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TVDinner

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I have watched almost every person I know with an Apple Watch get frustrated over the past 12 months waiting for custom dial options like the ones that are available with Android powered smart watches. At this point 95% of them have sold their Apple Watch and switched to a Moto 360 2nd Gen or one of the other options.

On a daily basis I see the hundreds and hundreds of dial options they have to choose from as I patiently wait for Apple to wake up and realize that they are honestly driving CUSTOMER who love their product away. Additionally these watches now work perfectly with the iPhone making it even easier to switch away from the Apple Watch.

I am very close to selling my Apple watch, 3 bracelets, multiple chargers, etc etc etc due to this one frustrating fact that Apple (who's stock has been PLUMMETING in recent months) has truly missed an opportunity to give their fans what they have been asking for over and over again for the past year.

Sorry for the rant, just frustrated with Apple. JMHO

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
I'm really annoyed too. I'd personally wait until Watch OS 3 before switching. 3rd time might be the charm for watch faces.

TVDinner

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I'm really annoyed too. I'd personally wait until Watch OS 3 before switching. 3rd time might be the charm for watch faces.

that might be many months to a year off.... with no guarantee.

I think it almost makes more sense to switch to another option now and then possibly come back to Apple IF they ever get their head out of the sand....

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think it almost makes more sense to switch to another option now and then possibly come back to Apple IF they ever get their head out of the sand....
Well, if the main reason you bought the watch, was for the custom faces, then yeah that makes sense.

I think I'd miss the integration of the AW and my iPhone, i.e., emails notifications, calls and texts. I like how I can take a call on the AW if I'm in a pinch, or send a quick response to a text.

TVDinner

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Well, if the main reason you bought the watch, was for the custom faces, then yeah that makes sense.

I think I'd miss the integration of the AW and my iPhone, i.e., emails notifications, calls and texts. I like how I can take a call on the AW if I'm in a pinch, or send a quick response to a text.

From what I have seen the newer Android smart watches integrate very very well with my friends iphone 6. That was my concern but they have had no issues for the past few months with all normal notifications, apps, etc. Not sure what I am going to do, but had hoped to never have to make this decision as hoped Apple would step up in the face of their declining business, etc.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
From what I have seen the newer Android smart watches integrate very very well with my friends iphone 6. That was my concern but they have had no issues for the past few months with all normal notifications, apps, etc. Not sure what I am going to do, but had hoped to never have to make this decision as hoped Apple would step up in the face of their declining business, etc.

Everyone's phone business is slowing. It is the economy and not due to the lack of new watch faces for your AW. Apple never promised new faces only lots of apps from 3rd party developers which in my opinion is the real failure. Even that is not enough to tempt me to move to Android.

When I get tired of my AW I give it a break and let it sit in a drawer for a while. If you to be upset, check out what the resale value is for your AW.

TVDinner

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Apple never promised new faces only lots of apps from 3rd party developers which in my opinion is the real failure.

Agree completely. They simply should allow the current 3rd party Android smart watch dial developers available for the AW. I can easily resell my AW with all the extras i have purchased. But still hoping to keep it if the dials become available.

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2010
that might be many months to a year off.... with no guarantee.

I thought Watch OS 3 was expected in June.

If you'd rather spend money on another watch, I don't see anything wrong.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
From what I have seen the newer Android smart watches integrate very very well with my friends iphone 6
Truth be told, I've not really followed the android wear products. Of what I've seen they seem rather large and unwieldy.

The AW in my book is a luxury item, and if you're not happy with the fit/finish or what it does, then year by all means find something that does.

Reactions: TVDinner

TVDinner

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I don't disagree with you (hence why I have a AW currently). still crossing fingers Apple loosens up the 3rd party controls asap.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002

This is incorrect. I know because I just sold my Huawei Watch and bought a refurbed Apple Watch. The AW integrates WAY better with the iPhone than Android Wear does. The only thing the Android Wear watch can do with an iPhone is receive notifications. But there is no 2-way communication (i.e. from the watch back to the phone*). If you like to respond to texts and emails, or make or receive phone calls, with your watch, then Android Wear is not for you.

Further, the Android Wear watch is controlled by an app on the iPhone that does NOT provide access to all the custom watch faces, only the stock Android Wear faces and a small handful (like, 12) additional faces that you can download. So, unless you plan to pair it with an Android device, then your main complaint with the Apple Watch - lack of custom faces - will not be solved. Same goes for additional apps. You cannot install them on an Android Wear watch unless you pair it with an Android device.

Trust me - it was *still* a tough decision for me to switch because I think the black steel Huawei Watch with the black steel link bracelet is WAY nicer looking than the Apple Watch. But the functionality just isn't there when used with iOS. It's basically just a second screen for notifications.

* There is some extremely kludgy communication from the watch back to the phone e.g. you click a link in an email on the watch, and it asks you if you want to open it on your phone; if you choose Yes, then it opens the link in a browser *in the android wear app* on the phone, not in safari. You can also respond to Gmails (and only Gmails) on the watch, by dictating, *however* there is no way to review or edit the message - whatever it hears and transcribes it then sends without review. Not good.

Reactions: ohio.emt

TVDinner

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Raleigh, NC
This is incorrect. I know because I just sold my Huawei Watch and bought a refurbed Apple Watch. The AW integrates WAY better with the iPhone than Android Wear does. The only thing the Android Wear watch can do with an iPhone is receive notifications. But there is no 2-way communication (i.e. from the watch back to the phone*). If you like to respond to texts and emails, or make or receive phone calls, with your watch, then Android Wear is not for you.

Further, the Android Wear watch is controlled by an app on the iPhone that does NOT provide access to all the custom watch faces, only the stock Android Wear faces and a small handful (like, 12) additional faces that you can download. So, unless you plan to pair it with an Android device, then your main complaint with the Apple Watch - lack of custom faces - will not be solved. Same goes for additional apps. You cannot install them on an Android Wear watch unless you pair it with an Android device.

Trust me - it was *still* a tough decision for me to switch because I think the black steel Huawei Watch with the black steel link bracelet is WAY nicer looking than the Apple Watch. But the functionality just isn't there when used with iOS. It's basically just a second screen for notifications.

There is some extremely kludgy communication from the watch back to the phone e.g. you click a link in an email on the watch, and it asks you if you want to open it on your phone; if you choose Yes, then it opens the link in a browser *in the android wear app* on the phone, not in safari. You can also respond to Gmails (and only Gmails) on the watch, by dictating, *however* there is no way to review or edit the message - whatever it hears and transcribes it then sends without review. Not good.

That is excellent info. I just tried to reach my friend who seems to be using all the faces from this android app with his iPhone and Moto 360 - http://androidwatchface.com/faces?showround=true&showsquare=true&showorder=1&search=black-&page=1

Not sure how but before I buy anything, if I buy anything, I will have to make sure it works.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
That is excellent info. I just tried to reach my friend who seems to be using all the faces from this android app with his iPhone and Moto 360 - http://androidwatchface.com/faces?showround=true&showsquare=true&showorder=1&search=black-&page=1

Not sure how but before I buy anything, if I buy anything, I will have to make sure it works.

From the link it looks like that's an Android (only) app...so he must somehow double pair it? Maybe first with an Android device, to get the faces (and apps?) he wants onto the watch, then with his iPhone for regular use.

Just a reminder though that it'd still be one way communication and no Apple Pay which I didn't mention earlier.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I have watched almost every person I know with an Apple Watch get frustrated over the past 12 months waiting for custom dial options like the ones that are available with Android powered smart watches. At this point 95% of them have sold their Apple Watch and switched to a Moto 360 2nd Gen or one of the other options.

On a daily basis I see the hundreds and hundreds of dial options they have to choose from as I patiently wait for Apple to wake up and realize that they are honestly driving CUSTOMER who love their product away. Additionally these watches now work perfectly with the iPhone making it even easier to switch away from the Apple Watch.

I am very close to selling my Apple watch, 3 bracelets, multiple chargers, etc etc etc due to this one frustrating fact that Apple (who's stock has been PLUMMETING in recent months) has truly missed an opportunity to give their fans what they have been asking for over and over again for the past year.

Sorry for the rant, just frustrated with Apple. JMHO

Sell your watch. I think it's silly that you are easily frustrated over something that doesn't even change on a mechanical watch.

Im not defending Apple but if they never allow 3rd party watch faces id still be ok with it.

Last edited:

pittine

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
this is definitely one of my biggest frustrations. it makes no sense to me that there wouldn't be a much wider or much more customizable selection of watch faces. apple seems to have missed a lot of opportunities to make the watch much more engaging, in my opinion.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA

I think Apple should allow custom third party faces as well, but personally I wouldn't trade my Apple Watch for an Android watch just to get more face options. The ones Apple offers are very nice and I only use a few of them most of the time. I'm sure some Android watch owners envy the number of apps available for the Apple Watch. In the end you have to decide what is most important, and for me the apps win it for the Apple Watch. Since custom faces are so important for you, consider switching. It's not a bad time to sell an Apple Watch. You could give an Android watch a try. If that doesn't work out, the maybe sell it and buy the next generation Apple Watch. Maybe by then they will support custom faces.

Sean

Reactions: ohio.emt

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
I'm as frustrated as you are, but I definitely couldn't switch to Android for this alone.

For what it's worth, Swiss are happy to sell you watches that cost much more than Apple watch that only come with 1 face :p

Reactions: ohio.emt and zmunkz

SilentDoom

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
TVDinner, have you got nothing better to do than blast the forum with your supposed disgust of not being able to sell your custom faces for the AW?
Agreed. This was never promised. Reminds me of people and flash on iOS. But a way smaller ordeal.

Do you remember the time that you couldn't change the background of your home Screen? It was just black. If you wanted to, you had to jailbreak and then you could change even the icons and overall look!
I did that when I was 16. I'm sure you can do those things on an android now, easily. I just don't see the point. I don't need a watch face that looks like my rolex's, especially since I can't scuba with an Apple Watch? What's the point of having "rotating dials" that are circle on a square watch?

Fall in love with what you bought. It's a watch! There will be new faces, I can almost promise that. Enjoy it now.

Same thing with phones. Everyone wants Apple to show us the future, blah blah blah. We're all so unhappy that we just have to have more. I don't know how all of you guys lived with pagers? I was born in '91, so I never had one.
[doublepost=1463288904][/doublepost]And I would have to say I believe the biggest complaint I've heard is speed or the need for a phone(stupid complaint). Yes, people want to customize, but?

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Really, though -- check his post history. I'll give 2 to 1 odds he's trying to stir the pot about custom watch faces.

Reactions: iPhysicist

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
I don't know... I think it's a fair complaint. Most things people are pissed about in Apple products weren't promised, they are simply perceived as missing. The mentioned changing home screen background thing... Custom text ringtones back in the day... Quick access to settings.

I don't personally see it as an issue big enough to make me think of selling, but it certainly is a fair complaint.

Reactions: dontworry

TVDinner

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I don't know... I think it's a fair complaint. Most things people are pissed about in Apple products weren't promised, they are simply perceived as missing. The mentioned changing home screen background thing... Custom text ringtones back in the day... Quick access to settings.

I don't personally see it as an issue big enough to make me think of selling, but it certainly is a fair complaint.

thanks. this is not about me personally doing or selling anything. I am part of a group of about 10 people who all have or have owned an AW at one time or currently. The lack of custom dials has been a common ongoing desire/want/discussion topic among us and others we all know. That is all. Appreciate this forum and a place to read, learn, and discuss topics like this.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.