Don't trust Apple with return of iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phxoutdoorsman, Oct 19, 2011.

1. phxoutdoorsman macrumors member

phxoutdoorsman

I ended up having to return my iPhone 4S to Apple since it was preordered through apple.com. All went smooth until today (the delivery date). Apparently there was no one to sign for my return at Apple's warehouse :confused:. I have Verizon working on it to get it verified and get my upgrade reset since Apple reps are not trying to help resolve this. I tried to have it exchanged at the Apple store, but couldn't because it was an online purchase. Has anyone else had issues like this before? It is kind of frustrating because I am sitting here without a phone, until my upgrade gets reset.

2. Chriscollins macrumors newbie

This is exactly whats preventing me from doing the same thing. I have my return number and almost sent my white 4s back today. All I want to do is exchange it for a black. By the time I send it back, and they make me eligible again, it going to be a week or more.

3. X3NIA macrumors member

A week of waiting on a phone or a 2 year contract of regretting purchasing the white?

At least that's how I see it.

4. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Sorry, but I trust Apple. Greatest company I've ever dealt with and have never had an issue.

I don't really understand your predicament. Are you trying to get another model iPhone or a completely different phone altogether?

5. dr.devious macrumors regular

dr.devious

This very situation is what dissuaded me from doing a return/exchange... I wanted a 32Gb instead of the 16GB one I ordered...the Apple Store was not very nice about explaining I had to return it through the mail. I can't be without a phone for a week while I wait for the return since I already sold my 4. I guess 16GB will do for now...

6. auero macrumors 65816

When my iPad 2 was preordered online I returned it a day after receiving it and the manager at the Apple store accepted it. I told her that Apple had told me that I can't return it in the store and she smiled replying "Don't listen to them, you can do anything if you ask politely".

I rarely order from Apple.com so I haven't tested this more than once but I'm surprised there was no one there to sign for your package at Apple.

7. ICYBLUE1203 macrumors newbie

It sounds like you're desperate for a new phone, but that's understandable. I returned mine as well on Monday, they received it today and emailed within a few hours about my refund. I also need to call Verizon and get my upgrade/contract reversed.

A return (exchange for me) in store would have been easier, but what can you do?

Attached Files:

8. Chriscollins macrumors newbie

I agree, the week wait isnt a huge deal. It's the week without a cell that is the issue. I understand that Apple splits apple.com and the apple store, but I just want to do an exchange.

9. joeybuckets macrumors regular

joeybuckets

just wasted 3 hours of my life today waiting on line at flagship store on 5th avenue in NYC, i was told by rep yesterday on phone i can exchange my 16gb for 32gb in store and pay the difference... i was so pissed off after they gave me their ******** about how i have to mail it back in. I just walked out with steam coming from my ears.:(, i wanted to strangle the store manager.

10. Chriscollins macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear that. What are you going to do?

11. joeybuckets macrumors regular

joeybuckets

i dont know... I honestly wanted to come home and smash all of my apple stuff.... i mean i was told by 2 reps i could exchange no problem. ..... i may be forced to just keep the 16gb now.

----------

how does the return shipping work? do they pay for it? or do u have too?

12. alekona macrumors member

Trust me...it is frustrating to know that the store won't allow you to do a simple exchange. However, I was explained the reason why yesterday and I get it, sort of. It's because of people who abused the system that ruined it for us that want to do a simple exchange in store for our iPhone's. I was even told by the Apple rep that it is not fair that we cannot exchange just because we were smart and preordered. It is what it is. I've sort of come to terms with it and next iPhone I will go up a size and wait in line at the store. My lesson was learned.

13. jdzialak macrumors regular

Why is everyone returning their phones? Because the size you wanted wasn't in stock, so you ordered whatever they had, knowing you'd be able to exchange it? This was to avoid waiting how long?
    This seems crazy to me..

14. noobinator macrumors 601

The VZW rep told me that Apple will call VZW to cancel my contract on a return for a new account. VZW said they couldn't cancel until apple calls them. Is this accurate? Doesn't sound right.

15. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Sounds right. They can't cancel the contract until they have some confirmation from Apple that the phone has been returned.

16. wongster41 macrumors regular

I was in the same situation, returned my iphone the day I got it via fedex *apple paid for shipping* and contacted ATT, told them I have returned the phone and told them I need my 2 year reset because I was in desperate need for a new phone. I gave ATT my RMA # and fedex tracking # for confirmation, and the lady got a supervisor to reset the 2 year agreement. I was able to get a new phone same day.

17. Jigga macrumors 6502

Can I return it in the store I bought it in or is this mailing in thing just for those who ordered on Apple.com?

18. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I was wondering the same thing. There seems to be a huge number of people wanting to exchange 16GB for 32GB, but I don't really understand why. Did you underestimate the amount of stuff you were going to put on the phone, or did you just take the first one you could get your hands on and hope you could exchange it later? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just honestly curious because I've seen so many people post about it.

19. futch macrumors 6502

futch

Sounds normal to me. Until Apple confirms the phone was returned, Verizon won't know if you really qualify to have contract reversed and upgrade eligibility restored?

In other news, I still think it makes NO sense to not allow Apple.com orders to be returned in store. Plain dumb if you ask me. I am very happy with my 32 GB and have no desire to return it, just my 2 cents.

I do not feel any pity for those who ordered a different color/size because the model they wanted was out of stock and they are now experiencing trouble with exchanges.

20. alekona macrumors member

Underestimated. Plain and simple. I had recently deleted stuff and never checked how much space I used until after I got the 4s all loaded up. I've always been a 16 gb person but i guess not anymore. can't speak for anyone else though.