DONT TRUST AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by danistrum, Mar 20, 2014.

1. danistrum macrumors newbie

Dear all,

I purchased a Macbook Air in May 2011. To feel reassured, I also purchased AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac in the following year.

On the previous days, the rubber around the wire that goes out of the transformer opened up next to the transformer box, exposing the metal part of the wire and jeopardizing the safety of both the computer and its user.

I use the computer following its manual. I transport it frequently, it is a notebook after all. I always fold the wire according to the manufacturer’s instructions, and I surmise that the cable should resist the normal wear and tear at least during the duration of the AppleCare Protection Plan.

On March 18, 2013 I called Apple Care in Brazil, where I currently am. There, Antonio Omar instructed me to bring the equipment to an accredited technical support company near my home: Servecomp or TSI Tecnologia.

I called Servcom and talked to a technician, Gilberto. Gilberto told me the Protection Plan did not cover this problem. I asked where such information was written. Gilberto answered that it featured in an internal norm, which he could not disclose to the final costumers.

I was intrigued since I expected both to have my contractual rights respected and the support service be transparent. I was unsure whether my misgivings should fall on Gilberto or on Apple.

The other company, TSI told me that I would have to leave to computer with them for 48 before they could provide me with any information.

I spent the entire morning of March 19 trying to talk to someone at Apple Care in Brazil to check whether Gilberto’s answer was correct, and avoid wasting time paying a visit for nothing. If it wasn’t true, I wished to know whether there was a swifter accredited company than TSI, since I surprisingly depend on my computer for work. During three attempts, either the call broke in the middle of the conversation or they never waited for me to answer it back.

Finally, I reached Fábio Augusto Galdino who works in the advanced support service of Apple Brazil. Fabio called TSI and scheduled a swift procedure for me. All seemed promising.

On March 20, I went to TSI and Fabio called me. Fabio told me that they were not able to provide me an answer on the same day because the department in the USA, whose name he did not want to provide me, was currently off-line. In principle, the answer was negative, unless I wanted to wait for another day and not complaining further about the Apple Care service, he threatened me!

I asked TSI workers whether the system could not come back, and maybe I should wait for a little while. After 30 minutes the technician Mário Mestre de Casa came back and told me that he received an answer from the USA via an internal chat service.

The answer was negative, since the AppleCare Protection Plan did not cover the adaptor, in a blatant breach of article 3.2, II of the contract!!!

Don’t waste money with AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac and avoid MacBook Air all together.

Best wishes,

Daniel Strum.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Sorry, but I disagree with you completely.

My wife and I bought her Macbook Pro in 2007, with Applecare included. In the now 7 years we've had it, we have had to replace her adapter roughly 5 times, 4 of which were for the very reason you state (wear/tear/fraying of the wires). Each time, it was covered under AppleCare. Even the only time it wasn't due to fraying (when our daughter put the charge cord in her mouth), they still placed it.

Whoever told you this is lying to you, and I absolutely don't believe a single word of it, because our experiences with it show me otherwise.

BL.

3. danistrum thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe the policy in Brazil is different

I have no reason to slander Apple. I just want to have my problem solved, and I have the case number if someone doubts it. It is Apple answer... regrettably

4. Geewhizz macrumors member

Geewhizz

I find being calm and pleasant goes a long way,
    Take it to the apple shop and explain to them you have small children in your home and are concerned their safety might be at risk due to this manufacturing defect,
    I am sure they will replace it, i doubt they want anyone hurt with there product.

5. danistrum thread starter macrumors newbie

There is not Apple Store here! I have spoken to the people at the accredited company and to all those I could in Apple Care Service through the phone. The final answer is that I am to bear the costs of the replacement! I have all their names quoted.

6. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Apple Care is good for some things. Best I can say is - sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

I had an iPhone that within 1 year the earphone jack would no longer support the microphone feature of the earbud (and any other type). I brought my iPhone to an Apple store and their solution was to replace it with a refurb as it was cheaper than doing a discovery and repair. The refurb worked fine but I can't help feel while it might keep costs down for Apple, consumers are being screwed. If it failed within 2 months, then basically I have paid for a "used" product at full price. A fair proposition would be refurbs for extended warranties and full replacement (new) for less than a year.

It seems many companies also do this with replacement with refurbs to keep costs down or more like profits up.