Don't Try To Put iOS 5 On iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by illegalprelude, Jun 8, 2011.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Well that didn't go over well. Not wanting to risk taking down my iPhone 4, I decided to try putting iOS 5 on the iPad. You can do a quick Google search to find it the software (iOS5 and iTunes 10.5) if you are not a developer.

Problem is that once you put iOS 5 on which I did with no problem, there is no way to activate it. So you are stuck with a lovely device and not much to do beyond the initial setup screen which is very slick.

For those who got to where I am, you will note that iTunes wont let you restore. You need to place your iPad in restore mode (hold down the power and home button till it enters restore mode) and then, iTunes will allow you to restore.

I'm now placing 4.3.3 on it and syncing nearly 64GB worth of stuff back over. This should be fast right?

Now to try my 3GS :D

2. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

without you UDID's for your devices being on a developers list of approved devices, you will not get ios 5 to work on any of your devices ... will just be able to view the lock screen and it will be waiting for activation ... so ... yeah just wait for the public release when it becomes official and not a developer build of it

3. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Not quite true. There is a work around for that. I just got it up and running on my 3GS but wont do it on my iPhone 4 since I cant afford to have that phone go down.

4. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

no problems with iOS5 on my iPad 2... maybe because i did it legitimately?

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Just do it legitametly by paying for the dev program. But if you aren't a dev then you really shouldn't be using beta software there is a reason why it's not released officially yet and that is that it isn't stable.

6. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I had no problem but have a developer account.
    It also is very stable which has my quite surprised.

7. Siggen, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

Siggen macrumors 6502

Really stable and good here too, on my iPad2.
    The reason it's not released yet, mostly (but not only) cause their waiting for the next iteration of iPhone.

Thats gonna be nice with the iMessage stuff, cause me and my g/f have different operators and cant send free sms, but when iMessage hits, it will be free for me and really cheep for her to chat a lot :3

Edit:
    The g/f wont join me on the beta without an untheatered jb.

8. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

so you guys think its stable enough to use? I just might give it a go.

9. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Because of all the bugs when I put iOS 5 beta on my 3GS, I won't let it touch my iPad 2.

- It kept downloading mail over and over, but wouldn't display anything.
    - Thumbnails didn't match up with the correct picture in the gallery.
    - Screenshots caused the Volume graphic to pop up.
    - Battery drain was insane
    - One hard lock.
    - iTunes kept overwriting changes I made on the device (iTunes would just keep putting apps back on even after deleting them from the device).

Also, the OP needs to do a little reading. It installs fine on an iPad, if your UDID is registered.

10. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

If you "need" your device, as in it's crucial to your everyday life, I wouldn't yet.

11. westerlu77 macrumors newbie

I tried to do the guide where I would connect via the check update button and triple click and to activate voice over and so on.
    My problem is that my check update button on itunes is grey.. I can't do anything on that button.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I won't be using iOS 5 until it's officially released and jail broken...

13. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Its working great for me on my ipad2. No bugs yet.

14. 3goldens, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

I installed it. It is a little buggy,and a few programs do not work, HBO, etflix so far.
    Slinplayer works fine.

Keyboard split very cool.

Mail has crashed a few times but its way more stable than people are saying.

It's going to take some getting used to that's for sure!

Icloud seems to be working but not for Mobilme mail.

You will be able to buy additional storage.

I will miss my gallery and I am certainly pissed that APple has abandoned hosting our web sites with their super duper server out there you'd think they would have not done this,

None the less, one door opens another closes. oh well, I'm glad to have the opportunity to get used to ios5 a little before it gets here in the fall.

15. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

Out of the 200+ apps I have installed only 3 do not work. The mail app in 4.3 and 4.3.3 both download my emails more than once so its no better or worse in the beta. Overall I think its pretty stable but if need your device 100% working stay away I think this beta is around 90% working.

16. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

depends how adventuresome you are I suppose. No way I'd let an early beta near my iPad2, but I had no problem throwing it on my 3GS (and subsequently removing it).

17. rockymtnhigh macrumors newbie

I am generaly pleased with the beta, a few glitches but some cool features too. Living on the edge. :)

18. T4R06 macrumors 65816

Netflix is not working as of now.. but everything is good

19. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

4 days now, no problems, enjoying this very much.

Keyboard is the kick ass feature for this device!

20. truciet macrumors 6502

all is well here too. pretty stable but all i do is surf the web, fb, and twitter lol

21. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You must not use your iPad much, because IOS5 is loaded with bugs. I have it on mine and I love some of the new features, but it's quite buggy. I have weird display glitches and apps that have their interfaces whacked out. Safari shows the wrong title on tabs when you open them. The new music app is a train wreck. Just try and connect to a shared iTunes library.

I could go on, but suffice it to say that it is most definitely beta 1 software and feels like it.

22. macduke Suspended

macduke

Between my wife and I we've drained the battery almost every day on my iPad 2 running 5.0b1 and I've hardly noticed any serious bugs. Just a couple soft crashes a day and maybe a small UI bug here and there. My iPhone 4 is also running fine on 5.0b1, but the battery life seems a little lower, maybe 10% less if I had to guess.

23. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

14 days now, no serious issue to date. Safari crashed a few times that's it!

Smooth sailing!!

24. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

Have you tried it on your iPad 1? If so, is it smooth sailing on it as well?

Thanks

25. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

Nope. I did not want to loose my very stable jailbreak on that one, in addition to the ability to watch Netflix, HBO etc....