Don't understand Flip4Mac... help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Poncho, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

OK, here's my problem.

Used to run Flip4Mac Pro Version 2.2.3.7 with Quicktime 7 Pro on Leopard.

Upgraded to Snow Leopard and got the 'Quicktime must be installed on this machine...' messages. OK, fair enough. Known issue.

Installed the Snow Leopard compatible 2.3.0.11-BETA with Pro licence but now have lost the ability to trim movies once they are opened in the Quicktime X window. However, if I navigate and open with Quicktime 7 Pro I can trim them.

Can anyone explain I should expect to happening and/or if this a bug or what?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Actually, to resolve the first problem all you need to do is point WMV files at QuickTime Player instead of the WMV Player that comes with the Flip4Mac software. As for the second problem, I haven't upgraded my WMV Player software that far... so I can't really be of much help. :eek:

3. Poncho thread starter macrumors 6502

Poncho

Thanks, I'll try that when I manage to unchain myself from this office work pen and drag myself home tonight.

4. Poncho thread starter macrumors 6502

Poncho

Message from the horse's mouth (PS, Flip4Mac now installs Microsoft Silverlight on your machine without teling you, unless you do a custom install and unclick it)...

'Flip4Mac version 2.3.0.11 introduced a change to the way it loads files. Rather than preloading, the file loads immediately allowing you to play the video while it finishes loading in the background. This is a considerably slower load time than if it preloads, but allows you to watch the video without delay.
    This was done to eliminate conflicts with certain applications when encoding, however for larger files and particularly HD files, it can cause stuttering playback and the inability to skip ahead in the timeline.

You can change this option by going to System Preferences/Flip4Mac WMV/Player and clicking the Advanced button. Click the + button and add QuickTime to the list. You will need to reboot QuickTime for the changes to take effect.

Regards,

Sandy

Telestream Desktop Support Technician