Don't understand iCloud backups

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Bugeyeblue, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Bugeyeblue macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

I just restored my iPhone 5 today (iOS 7) because I needed to get rid of 2gb of buried messages data. So I restored from my iCloud backup. It worked great.

Here's what I don't understand. Before I reset the phone, I tried to make an iCloud backup. It said I didn't have enough storage left to do that. So I just said forget it, reset the phone , and when I restored, I used the "restore from iCloud " and it pulled in all my notes, reminders, and email settings. All current. So if iCloud isn't backing up, how is it keeping this data that transferred back onto my iPhone? I really would like to use iCloud to keep my phone backed up, but it shows my storage is just about full.

2. TC03 macrumors 65816

Dunno, seems weird dat it apparently does daily backups but will not allow manual ones.

Either way, time to check out your storage status. Go to Settings, iCloud, Storage and Backups, Manage Storage. See what it says there about available storage.

3. wepiii macrumors 6502

I could be wrong but I believe notes, safari bookmarks, contacts, email settings etc. are separate from your iCloud backup space. They are synced over the air, automatically as soon as they are altered. As far as your backups, you need to check to make sure you don't have any old backups being stored for a phone you don't have anymore.

Go to Settings, iCloud, storage and backup, and then manage storage. Delete any duplicate backups if they are there. If not, you can either manually free up some storage or purchase additional iCloud space.

Moving photos on to your computer and then deleting them off your phone should free up a lot of room.

As far as the backups, I think that mainly stores your apps, some system settings, photos etc.

4. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Ya it says I have about 445mb of storage left. I had a lot of pictures on my phone, and when I reset the phone I backed them up to the computer. So now it's just backing up whatever is on this new fresh install to iCloud.

5. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

There's only my current phone and my old iPad 2 on the list of devices using iCloud backups. I don't get it though, it shows the next backup sized at 2.2gb, but I only have 445mb left. But it's backing up! Before I restored, it said the current backup needed 3.9gb so it wouldn't back up. So confusing...

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

OP, this is your answer.

7. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Thanks everyone.

8. cynics macrumors G3

Doesn't the message data you were trying to get rid of stuck in the cloud or not?

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Older backup. You may have just run out of space with this last attempt. Batch of photos or such. But for a while it was working. It's also possible that your notes were attached to an email service and came back when it logged back in.

----------

App data and the list of apps installed yes. Not the apps themselves. Settings, camera roll, list of purchased music and video, message archive.

10. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Nope. It's on the phone. There's another thread about it somewhere. Since iOS 7, you can now see under usage in settings how much memory messages is taking. I needed that 1.5gb back since I have a 16gb iPhone.

11. wepiii macrumors 6502

My guess is that what you are actually seeing as "your current phone" is a backup that is from your phone before it was restored. It is seeing your current setup as a new phone. Try deleting your iPhone backup, and then do a manual backup. This will solve your problems.

12. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

My only problem with doing that is it wants to delete my existing photos in iCloud, including shared photo streams. I have a few of those I don't want to get rid of.

13. wepiii macrumors 6502

Could you manually move the photstream photos to a computer for the time being? Just to have a backup incase?

14. Dominicanyor macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor