Dont update current 2G iPhone to official 2.0 software update

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by poorbusker, Jul 11, 2008.

1. poorbusker macrumors member

I installed the new 2.0 software update and everything went well except for the reactivation at the end of install. The servers that re-activate old phones that are updating and new 3G activations must be the same. So hold off until later on. Because of now...I don't have an activated phone.

2. rockstarguy macrumors newbie

Yeah... I've been trying to update it since 9:30, and now it's 11:30, and I still have a non-working phone.

3. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

4. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Apple is "working on a solution" according to Engadget. I was sad I didn't get to buy the 3G today, and was going to update my current iPhone to 2.0...

Best bet is to hold off until order is restored.

5. slicedbread macrumors regular

Man I feel like such an idiot now.

I had the "iPhone1,2_2.0_5A347_Restore" firmware yesterday, activated and all working. Decided to switch to the iPhone1,1_2.0_5A347_Restore" today and go for the official version.

Now I'm stuck waiting to activate, and don't know how long this will take. Suggest everyone just hold off activating both new or updated iPhones until the servers get back online.

6. ogdogg macrumors 6502

Guess those people saying to wait until the official release are probably a little upset now. Like you said, "Glad I updated yesterday".

7. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Someone please post when all up and working. Come on Apple, you dropped the ball.

8. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

same here , glad i got the leaked version yesterday....because i didn't have any problems!

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

It is going very very slow as of now. Having been doing the restore for about 10 minutes total so far. I haven't gotten any of the errors "yet".

10. slicedbread macrumors regular

The restore itself is fine, but does take some time, maybe 10-20 mins total? But thats not the issue, its after its restored but needs activating in iTunes where everyone is stuck. The servers are severely dead and no one can connect to it, thus leaving everyone with bricks. I'm still stuck after 30 mins.

I'd say give it a day or two before you try for yourselves.

11. zkaudio macrumors member

this is more than frustrating... i have clients calling me, hope this is up within an hour.

Also, you think this is holding up the stores too?

12. Musicmadnessash macrumors member

right now after 40 mins or so of WAITING! the phone said ACTIVATED... with he app store and everything.. yet itunes is still dead.. saying just iPhone where the sync info normaly is.. the phone dosnt actually do anything except see the menu's and signal strength and where the Edge logo was is now a square with a dot in the middle..

13. zkaudio macrumors member

My phone just has a picture of the cable and an arrow pointing up to "itunes" as it looks when you get a new iphone... i assume it's waiting for the apple store to register so I keep clicking back and forth between "iphone" and "itunes store" to refresh teh connection in itunes

14. redxk8 macrumors newbie

Other than the build number and the file size does anyone know if there is any difference between yesterday's "leaked" version and today's official version? I downloaded and installed yesterday early in the day. I was able to reactivate just fine and sync just fine.

And (hopefully not to speak too soon) everything on my phone is working just fine. Earlier today when I plugged my phone into iTunes I did the check for an update and it said I had the most current version. My phone is working fine and as far as I can tell all of my existing applications plus my purchased and free downloaded applications are all working perfectly. I am wondering why I would chance screwing up my phone with the "officially released" version at this point if I am all activated and working on this one. Is there any reason? Is yesterday's version set to self-destruct or something after a certain period of time?

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I had an iBrick for an hour, but 2.0 is up and running for me. If you can spare a few hours, it doesn't hurt to update (it's just the iTunes store cutting in and out that's prolonging the process). If you need your phone for anything soon, it's better to wait until tonight.

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Took me all of about 20-30 minutes. Phone is activated and working with the new updated software!!!

I did get one error notice. I just unplugged and plugged back in and it worked the second time around. But it does take a while for the whole process.

17. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

18. RRKPL macrumors member

I've been happily using the 2.0 firmware since yesterday but I was wondering... After the server issues are resolved what's the procedure if you want to change from the prerelease firmware to the "official" firmware on your first generation iphone.

Thanks,

Richard

19. PaulMS08 macrumors newbie

Question

When do you think all those with locked up 2G iPhones, including myself, will be able to activate their phones and get rid of the stupid, "Slide for Emergency" and, "Connect to iTunes" display? I guess what I am trying to say is, how long do you think we will have to wait?