Don't use it, would like to sell it...

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by C. Alan, Dec 16, 2009.

1. C. Alan macrumors 6502

First of all, I want to say up front that THIS IS NOT AN OFFER TO SELL MY WINDOWS 7 disks. So please don't ask.

When I got my new Mac Pro last month, I decided to go ahead and buy Windows 7 Professional. I use Autocad 2004 on occasion, and I wanted to be able to run it in boot camp.

Well after installing Windows 7, I discovered that the only way I could run Autocad was in the XP visualization mode. I already run XP in Parralles, so my Windows 7 purchase has become sort of meaningless. I think I have booted into windows twice in the last month.

So here is my question: Can I legally sell my copy of windows 7? I have googled the Windows 7 EULA, but I can't find a copy of the current EULA, and I don't know if there is a way to display it inside of Windows 7.

When (and if) I sell it, I will more than likely put it on Ebay.
    Thanks,
    C. Alan

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, you can sell it, as long as you remove all copies from your machine.

3. C. Alan thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I can do that, I would like the 100gigs of HD space back anyway.

4. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

If you bought the OEM version of Windows 7, then no, you can't sell it separately from the machine you installed it on.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MS EULAs are here: http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/

If you bought a retail box you can sell it just fine.

Note that if you sell a computer with OEM on it, per the license, you become responsible for end-user support. Yet another reason to avoid OEM licenses as cheap as they are.

B

6. C. Alan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link, that is what I have been looking for. I bought it in the retail box, so no OEM issues.