Don't use Safari While Performing a Software Update!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Joshua8o8, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

This may seem obvious to some but it was not obvious to me. I was performing a software update yesterday which contained updates to Safari beta 3, itunes, and some security updates. While downloading the software updates i was on this site looking around. All of a sudden i received my first kernel panic. It told me i needed to restart my macbook. I did so and upon start up i was no longer able to access safari, itunes, and a few other programs. I also have macscan and that was malfunctioning as well. I called apple care and they were unable to solve my problem and told me i needed to restore my HD. I ended up taking it to my Local Apple store and the genius was able to fix my problem without restoring my HD ( sorry i dont really know what he did ). I explained to him what i was doing while i got the kernel panic. He basically told me that while doing a software update its not a good idea to be doing multiple tasks, he explained that performing a software update to my mac is like doing brain surgery to it. He said its especially not a good idea to be using the programs that are bring updated, in my case it was safari, i suppose thats the reason why safari and the other apps that were getting updated no longer worked. Just thought i would pass this Tip along.

2. weckart macrumors 68040

Windows is a tad better in this regard. It forces you to close programs it is going to update before it proceeds. Microsoft has carried this over to the Mac with Office 2004.

3. Joshua8o8 thread starter macrumors 6502

That seems like a good feature to have. Hopefully Leopard will have this feature...