Resolved Don't use your iPad too close to your MacBook.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KevinC867, Nov 3, 2014.

1. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Occasionally, the touch response on my new iPad Air 2 has been terrible, making typing almost impossible. I finally realized that it just happens when I'm using the iPad very close to my MacBook Pro (2012 Retina 15") - for example, when resting the iPad on the wrist pad in front of my MacBook.

It's a relief to have found the cause and avoid the need to visit the Genius bar. Now if I could just solve a similar problem when my iPhone 5s is plugged in with the lightning cable, I would be all set.

2. Dan70 macrumors regular

How would this be connected? I don't see how having your iPad close by to your Macbook could cause such a thing, it doesn't make sense at all.

3. KevinC867 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree it's very odd, but it's 100% repeatable.

The physics behind capacitive touch screens are complicated. Here's one article I found which points out some of the failure modes:
    www.silabs.com/support documents/technicaldocs/Minimizing-Touchscreen-EMI.pdf

Based on something in that article, I tried touching the case of my iPad with one hand while typing with the other. The errors mostly went away.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If your iPad is near your MacBook it will trigger the bits that tell the system that the lid is closed and put it to sleep. Likewise, the iPad will do weird stuff because its magnetic strip is for the Smart Cover and some of the styluses that are able to stick on it.

I have accidentally wiped off my hotel keys with my iPad because of it. :mad: