Don't want a bigger screen! Choose 5C or 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cman-uk, Jun 29, 2014.

?

Which iPhone to purchase... in 2 weeks

Poll closed Jul 29, 2014.
  1. 5S

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. 5C

1 vote(s)
    3.3%
  3. Just wait, and put up with a phone you cannot use comfortably with one hand

8 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. cman-uk macrumors regular

I'm in the minority, I do not want a screen that's so big I need two hands to use it.

I'm happy with my 4S, where my thumb reaches all corners of the screen just fine, where I can reach all hard buttons without over stretching, all whilst holding the phone securely.

The above won't be possible with the next iPhone, either with a 4.7 or 5.5 inch display.

So I need to consider a 5C or 5S as my next device.

What would you go for and why?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say wait until you actually see what Apple is going to do, before spending money. September isn't that far off, and then you can make an informed decision on what's best.

I like the 5c, but its internals are long in the tooth compared to what's out there now, why spend a lot of money on an older generation phone.

3. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

That's silly. People need to quit with this "can't use with one hand" when it comes to 4.7 inch phones. It's not an issue, you're just making one.

4. FFR macrumors 65816

FFR

I would go with a 5s, because of Touch ID and the a7.

5. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Just and wait what happens in September.
    A) Alongside with a larger phone Apple also releases a new phone with the current screen size, and you can buy that one
    B) Apple only releases larger iPhone(s), but everytime new iPhones are released the older version (i.e. 5C and 5S) gets discounts.

6. cman-uk thread starter macrumors regular

It's not silly, I've used a 4.7" display handset and I report from personal experience I could not reach all 4 corners of the screen comfortably withouth compromising on grip.

A) I thought the general consensus was 4.7 and 5.5? Current size would indeed be ideal. I've not seen much to indicate a device smaller than 4.7" is on the horizon ???

B) I should add, the 5C can be had for very very little now, almost free. After Sept, it would almost certainly be free but also 2 generations behind (spec/chip wise) hence the dilemma...

7. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

In my opinion (I hope I'm wrong) Apple won't release a 4 inch phone with up to date spec again. So if a 4 inch phone is important to you, I would, and have bought the phone which has the most modern spec, so it will take longer for it to become obsolete.

8. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Unfortunately this. Granted, it would be a nice surprise if they released 5s internals+TouchID in a 5c chassis.

9. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I don't prefer a bigger phone, but since it seems inevitable I say wait it out and see what Apple has to offer. I won't speak for anyone else but in my experience 4.7" phones aren't all that bad size-wise; I can't comfortably use them one-handed personally but I think some might be surprised.

For those of us who don't necessarily want a bigger phone, it seems that we're stuck either living with slowly outdating technology or sucking it up and learning to live with a bigger phone. Having owned several larger Android phones I'm fine with changing my usage patterns in order to keep up with the technology.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

Somehow, I've never been able to do much one handed with my iPhone 4S. My hands are average size, but I think the real reason is I have arthritis in my thumb. (probably from typing stuff into a typewriter, dumb terminal, and computer (in that order) for over 40 years. For me one big criteria will be whether or not it will fit into my shirt pocket.

11. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

They are both very nice, but if you are waiting for a new iPhone to be released to get the last generation I would get the 5s without a doubt. The 5s is more "future-proofed" the. The 5c is right now.

No matter what the A8 brings with it the A7 is still a beast of a CPU. There will be very little slow down if any at all with iOS 8. Whereas with the A6 (iPhone 5c). You're probably gonna start to see its age with iOS 8. The only thing that can hold the 5s back is the lack of ram, but I've read rumors saying the iPhone 6 is only going to have 1gb of RAM as well so maybe it won't be an issue.

12. jhtrico1850 macrumors regular

I'm with you. Comparing the Moto X to the 5s, I got the 5s because the Moto X was a hair bigger than the 5s. And the new iPhone 6 is going to be huge for me.

I hope Apple continues to release higher specced smaller phones.

13. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I say you wait. Unless you can find a good deal on the current phones. Just get the most out of your money. You know the new one is coming and will hopefully be the same price $199 $299 etc as the current phones.

14. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

From what John Gruber said on this week's Talk Show podcast, I definitely wouldn't be ruling out a new 4 inch iPhone with improved internals. I'd actually say there's a good chance it will happen now he's said it. :cool: His point the media and blogs are obsessed with the bigger iPhones that everyone is just assuming Apple will abandon smaller handsets without much evidence.

15. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Well on this point I would be really happy to be wrong. And the OP should wait until the new phones are announced, even if there is no new 4 inch phone at least you get a discount on the 5s. Though really hope Gruber's right.

16. Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

^ This.

17. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Something I'd like to point out, people come in different shapes and sizes. While you may not have an issue operating a larger device single-handed, the same cannot be said of everyone. I think the OP would know better than you or me what size/form factor feels more comfortable for him.

18. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I have a feeling Apple will update the 5C and will cater to the needs of everyone.:D