Dont want to synch, just push from PC?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by donmei, Apr 9, 2007.

1. donmei macrumors regular

Dear All,

I have an ipod that I has been in use in my car for several months.

I've been using itunes almost as a separate product, its been months since I synched. In that time I've added music to my itunes, deleted unwanted songs, and generally reshuffeled, renamed and reEverythinged the contents of itunes.

My ipod has goten a bit flakey. What I want to do is essentially wipe it clean, reinstall the OS and then push songs down. I dont want to synch since I'm afraid I'll end up with duplicates. (I spent a lot of time cleaning things up on my itunes)

What is the best way to do this? Thank you all for your help.

Best regards,

Don
    p.s. If I'm missing something like a setting in itunes that says "computer overwrites ipod" instead of synchronizing, then thats good.

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Songs from the iPod can't copy back to the computer, so you don't have to worry. I hope this helps, I don't really understand 100% what your problem is.

3. donmei thread starter macrumors regular

Its not really a problem, more of a concern for the stuff on my pc.

So if I had a song on the ipod and itunes, and I deleted it from itunes, will it be removed from the ipod?

I would like that to happen.

Don

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That's exactly what will happen.

Your computer is the master - the iPod is a mirror.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not quite true with iTunes 7.x, since you can now pull iTunes Store purchases back from the iPod. This does require you to do more work and will only work for purchased tracks.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/sync/transfer.html

B

6. donmei thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all.

I'll connect and see how it goes. Just to be safe I think I'll set the iTunes music folder to "read only" before I synch.

Don