Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeMcCollister

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2021
Charlottesville, Virginia
On my iPhone, one of the options for a default calendar is US Holidays. It has been there for years, on various iPhones. I don’t want that there. How do I get rid of it? It is not there on my iPad, nor is it on my wife‘s iPhone.

Sometimes I have to disable my calendars and reenable them and the default calendar becomes US Holidays, and if I forget to change it, I can‘t add new appointments because it is read-only.

IMG_4882.jpeg

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_4882.jpeg
    IMG_4882.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 17

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
It's odd that you see the Holiday Calendar on the Default Calendars page. I don't, on iPhone nor on iPad.

But it does appear (by default and non-removable, as @gwhizkids points out) on the Calendars browser within the Calendars app itself. You can "Hide" events there, by un-ticking the Holidays, but you can't remove it.

As far as getting rid of it on the Default Calendars page - what version of iOS are you running? I'm on 17.5.1 and as I said - not there for me. I suppose you could try deleting & reinstalling the Calendars app.

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
What happens when you disable "Calendar" in the iCloud settings? This should remove all iCloud calendars, including the Holidays, and have no effect on your Google Calendar. I'm in Switzerland so unfortunately I can't test it myself.

Mike330R

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
I just clicked on one of the US holidays and I was able to unsubscribe. But unsubscribed from all US holidays.

MikeMcCollister

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2021
Charlottesville, Virginia
It's odd that you see the Holiday Calendar on the Default Calendars page. I don't, on iPhone nor on iPad.

But it does appear (by default and non-removable, as @gwhizkids points out) on the Calendars browser within the Calendars app itself. You can "Hide" events there, by un-ticking the Holidays, but you can't remove it.

As far as getting rid of it on the Default Calendars page - what version of iOS are you running? I'm on 17.5.1 and as I said - not there for me. I suppose you could try deleting & reinstalling the Calendars app.
I'm running iOS 17.4.1. It has been like this for years. There is no way to delete it as per suggestions from others. I'm just wondering if there is a way for it to not be in the Default Calendars section.

Probably a corrupted database. Surely nothing could go wrong with that. 😉

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I'm running iOS 17.4.1. It has been like this for years. There is no way to delete it as per suggestions from others. I'm just wondering if there is a way for it to not be in the Default Calendars section.

Probably a corrupted database. Surely nothing could go wrong with that. 😉
iOS 17.5 ummm..... "Fixes" certain corruption ;) so worth a shot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.