Don't wast time applying for Lion Up-to-date program if you own more than one Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Cyberskier, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Cyberskier macrumors newbie

I'm trying to see if I am reading this correctly. I got my new iMac in mid June, in the time window for the free Lion upgrade. I also own a Macbook Air that I bought in December. The terms of the Lion up-to-date program include this:

"The OS X Lion software content code must be used solely with the products that qualify for this offer."

I take that to mean that I can only use Lion on the new iMac, and I would need to buy another copy on the Air. Am I right? I'm OK with that, but want to make sure I understand it correctly.

If I'm right, it is probably pointless for me (and others like me) to go through the process of filling out the up-to-date form, since the copy I'd buy for my Air would be valid on the iMac, too, since they're on the same Mac App Store account ID.

2. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

3. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Unless the up to date program uses different licensing terms you should be fine. You can install Lion on multiple computers. Did the screen allow you to read the license agreement or was that the extent of the explanation?

4. as2 macrumors newbie

as2

I believe that it gives you a code to download it from the App Store. Surely that will then be associated with your Apple ID so you can install away on your other mac's too. Even if not explicitly allowed in the terms.

5. Cyberskier thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I haven't even gotten that far. I got that from the up-to-date web page, under the terms and conditions section:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

6. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Based on the language from the OP, I don't think you are legally allowed to upgrade other machines that don't qualify for the original upgrade. The "free upgrade" is for people that purchased hardware after Lion was announced but didn't want to wait for it. It doesn't mean all your machines get a "free upgrade". You still need to purchase a copy for your older, non-qualifying hardware.

At least that is my interpretation.

7. bigbowlofjelly, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

bigbowlofjelly macrumors member

load up app store on air then see if lion says purchased or buy, you can't buy it twice
    Up to 5 authorised computers per account as long as one of them qualifies
    I think its more like if you had 2 new qualifying computers you can't give the code from one of them to some one else with different apple id to use on their old computer

8. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I tend to agree after put it that way :D Sometimes logic fails me.

9. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I would interpret it as they only want you to redeem the code from an eligible system. However, you are redeeming the code for a licensed copy of Lion and should have all the same rights as any other Lion owner. I would download the free upgrade and then check to see if it shows up in the App store for download on the other system. Never hurts to try and would save you $29.

10. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

That is a lot to read :D
    Get your free version of Lion for your new hardware and pay $30 to upgrade your other computers. It's the only way to be sure without reading all the crap ha ha

11. leoiimqc macrumors newbie

I called Apple this morning, I have two macs too, and only one is qualify for this up-to-date. the apple representative told me that I can install the free Lion for both of my Macs.

Hope it helps, and hope that representative is right.

P-s, he also told me that there was a bug for the up-to-date website, so it won't proceed for now.

Leo
    Cheers.

12. Kaphis macrumors newbie

You can install for both. You use Apple ID to download Lion, just log in with your Apple ID on the other computer and you should see Lion available to download as well just like any other app.

13. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Isn't that whole issue kinda obvious?
    The code enables you to download Lion for free from the AppStore, just like if you bought it. How would it prevent you from just logging in with the same Account on an older Mac and download Lion again?
    And even if you were willing to buy it again, you couldn't since the Account is already qualified to download Lion anytime.