"Don't worry"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phaedarus, Apr 13, 2010.

1. phaedarus macrumors regular

You know the quote.

Now here's the question:

With the Macbook Pro refresh now finally unveiled, are YOU worried about future trends of the Macbook Pro line as a whole?

2. rawd macrumors regular

3. Loumeer macrumors newbie

I'm typing this on a pre-unibody MacBook Pro with a 512MB 8600 GT so needless to say I am a little but underwhelmed with the updates to this line in 2010 when Apple used to be the Apex of new technology (first to use LEDs, first to boast green tech).

I think there are two possibilities going on right now.

1) Apple is moving it's focus to the handheld devices (iPhone, iPad, etc.) and updating the MacBook Pros to be on par with the current tech.

2) More likely I think there is a new design in the process. I think unibody was released in something like 2008? I am obviously just speculating (and partly hoping) that it's about time for a major overhaul with the design of the Macbook Pro if for no other reason then a selling point. It then is pretty safe to extrapolate that a lot of the major changes that we were hoping to see (IPS screen, USB 3.0, major graphics bump, etc.) will be added with this major overhaul again for selling points.

Only time will tell where Steve Jobs is going to take Apple computer department but, I can personally say that soon it will be time for me to upgrade this bad boy I am working on right now and with windows getting that much nicer with Windows 7 I am going to be tempted to go with a high end Asus laptop which currently offers a lot more at a much better price point than Apple's line up and I know that I can't be the only customer who feels this way.

4. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I can see Apple dropping their computer line altogether in the future. Most people don't truly need a powerful computer anymore, including 90% of people on this site. This is why netbooks have been so popular. In the past there were only regular laptops and computers to choose from. Now there are phones, netbooks, tablets, etc. Apple keeps moving more and more into consumer gadgets.

5. clindner macrumors regular

6. breathesrain macrumors regular

And don't take the whole "Apple is a mobile device company" out of context. From all accounts, Steve meant that to include the laptops. Since Apple is a trendy brand, it makes sense that the laptops are more popular- people don't see other people's desktops that often, after all. I believe laptops are more popular now then desktops, at least in the consumer market.

7. joina macrumors member

Not to worry....apple fan buy apple whatever specs they have

8. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

And what does that make you who voluntarily chose to come in this forum and be surrounded by apple fan boy morons and sheep? You know just wondering, you seem to be so astute to note the delusions of the apple buying sheep, yet you are posting this at macrumors. Strange condition...

9. Bibble macrumors member

I suspect that Apple's intentions are moving more into making the laptop portable again. I've used the bigger, high-er end laptops, and, while they can be used on battery, on your lap, it's normally about as comfortable as using a netbook to write a novel, possible, but not something that you'd do willingly anytime soon.

The role that is occupied my most other desktop replacement laptops (machines that are portable, but need a power socket and a desk to use), could actually, quite happily be filled by an iMac (what do you need? power, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse?), the MacBook Pros are intended for people who will actually want to be using them where desktops are impossible (trains, planes, on the sofa) and, in these circumstances, you wouldn't want that uber power for film editing or photoshop, because it's not really the locale to do it in.

What Apple are trying to do is make devices that fill the gaps where needed:

iPod - largely unseen, simple controls, mainly for music playback.
    iPhone - Will make phone calls, but mainly for those times you need to get something done URGENTLY (email, a quick web search).
    iPad - More typable, used when you might actually need to take notes, or do something that would need a keyboard, but not the whole power of a laptop.
    MB(P) - Out-and-about work. You can type out a document, or, in extreme cases, actually do video-stuffs, but it's not ideal for it.
    iMac - Desk-hoppers. Transportable, easy set-up, gives you your workstation where you are.
    Mac Pro - Static, powerful, powerhouse. Nuff said.

Now, you can't use photoshop on an iPad, and you could use a Mac Pro just for web-surfing, but it's a bit of a waste. Each device that they've got, has it's place. You will not need them all, but you will have to be realistic about the ones you do. You can buy a 17", top of the line MBP to do photoshop when you switch between offices, but it'll always be pushing the upper limits of the capability.

If you need something to do a job, make sure it'll do that job before you buy it! If your needs change, you have to accept that the device might have to be changed too.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

There is no trend in Apple's updates. No one has ever been able to predict any of their moves, only speculations that once in a while come close.

11. joina macrumors member

i love apple becasue mbps have elegant shape and good quility. im willing to return my z11 and get a mbp which i hope it will have ATI 5XXX or at least the same as Z11 (1024 gt330m). well, im disappoionted.

12. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

Ok, fair enough, but the rest of us are not sheep. Some people are still very happy with a pretty good gfx card and custom switching mechanism that conserves battery to a tremendous 8-9 hours, I don't think these features are matched elsewhere, with the elegant and robust and thin unibody design. But maybe these specs are not good enough for you. Companies can't be everything to anyone. If you haven't used OS X and an apple computer before I would suggest though that you still consider them, because an apple computer is more than a set of specs. :)

13. Cali3350 macrumors regular

its not custom switching, its the same tech in most new PC notebooks as well.

14. sth macrumors 6502a

Wrong.

- Compared to Optimus, applications don't need to be "whitelisted" to use the dedicated graphics card. Apple's implementation automatically enables the dedicated card for every application that is linked against OpenGL.
    - Compared to Optimus, the integrated GPU is switched off completely while the dedicated card is running.

The implementation differs in software and hardware from everything ATI/nVidia currently offer for Windows.

No.

- sent from my macbook pro

15. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Updates are always incremental. We rarely see "crazy" updates from Apple.

16. joina macrumors member

my z can automatically swtich as well and it has a button with 3 options: automatic, speed and stamina.
    So this really is not a very new stuff for pc...

well.....i love the shape too much...still thinking return z11 and get a mbp

17. Cali3350 macrumors regular

No hes right, I do stand corrected.

Apple is simply detecting OpenGL API calls and enabling when they are present. That is a better solution that Optimus.