All iPads Don't you agree that TouchID was necessary for the iPad vs iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thiagos, Oct 22, 2013.

1. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

So I was holding off to buy a new iPad after the announcement. I am a business guy who needs my iPad to be securely locked and was really excited and looking forward to TouchID on my iPad, even more then the iPhone.

Apple needed to make the new iPad thinner and lighter since there is no longer the thick bezel for people to grab the iPad with, so it needed to be lighter (I agree). The naming is plain stupid, call it iPad 5 and that's it.

Why didn't they implement TouchID on their new iPad line? Because of the thickness or because they just didn't feel like it?

For the crazy Apple brown noses, please forgive me for saying anything bad about Apple.

2. matttye macrumors 601

They want to keep something back for next year.

Why haven't they added wifi 802.11ac?
    Why haven't they added USB 3 support?

My answer would be the same for any of these questions.

3. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Don't you agree that TouchID was necessary for the iPad vs iPhone.

I feel the same way. Touch Id on the iPads and most everybody is excited. Not only for unlocking but also for app purchases, and any future enhancements planned. I'm honestly a lol disappointed. 399 is kinda high too even for retina. 349 would be tolerable. If a mini 2 is 399 at the very least it could've been 32gb.

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I turned the damn fingerprint off on my phone after dealing with it for a week.

5. Arpetee macrumors newbie

Never used it, but is the fingerprint ID really that cool? Seems like a novelty to me. Especially when multiple people were to use it. Would be fine to have but nothing that is at all make or break for me...

6. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

While it would be nice to have it in the iPad, I makes more sense for the iPhone. Also, since Apple has apparently had trouble making enough Touch ID sensors to keep up with 5s demand, it makes sense that the would not include it in the iPads.

7. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

If I had the 5s, I'd do the same thing.
    I don't need nor want another thing the NSA might be tempted to have a play with.

8. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I was the first to harp on the "TouchID" hype surrounding the iPhone 5s, but after using it now for a month, I can't imagine buying another iDevice without it. I'm not buying the new retina mini for the sole reason that it doesn't have it.

I'm guessing the TouchID came out too late in the game to add it into the production for iPad Mini or Air.

Anyone who says that TouchID is cumbersome or a pain or doesn't work clearly hasn't used it for more than a second or two. Compared to typing in a lock code every time the phone wakes, it's amazing!

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

Whilst it would be nice its by no means a necessity and in my opinion not a deal breaker.

----------

Your finger print is in on likely hood in the system some where from an application for something or other so its hardly likely to matter. Not to mention your personal information is probably already in the government system. In all honesty you just sound paranoid.

10. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

Nah. Just prefer some semblance of privacy where I can grab it. It's getting freaking nuts all over the place these days although I'm convinced this stuff has been going on a lot longer than any of us could imagine. ;)

11. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

The home button is too hard to press when holding the device with one hand... Johnny Ive would have called it an ergonomic disaster :D

Touch ID is the best bit about the iPhoe 5S imho. Its so simple to use...

----------

You could set up a longer passcode by turning Simple Passcode off and have it erase data after 10 unsuccessful attempts if you wanted... I know its slower but it solves your problem...

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

When I heard stories about the yields not being what Apple desired a couple of months ago, I knew this meant we probably wouldn't get them in any iPads. The Touch ID is much more about the future instead of just unlocking your iPhone and making Apple purchases. In a couple of years it will likely be part of mobile payments, which will be much more an iPhone thing than an iPad thing.

Still, I've had my iPhone 5S since Friday and have a sad face when I have to swipe to unlock and punch in my code on my iPad.

13. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Nope, not a necessity for me at all, although I can understand the desire for such a security feature for someone who is constantly using an iPhone out in public.

14. palpatine macrumors 68040

the lack of a touch id is no big deal. i could not care less. it's a nice feature, sure, but it isn't like i'm constantly pulling my 9.7" ipad out of my pocket to check email and stuff. i use it all day every day and don't have to lock it much. it might add up to ten seconds or so of my day. i can live with it. the iphone, though, is better off with it. it's kind of annoying to always be typing int he passcode.

15. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502

OneBagTravel

Don't you agree that TouchID was necessary for the iPad vs iPhone.

Paranoid crew.

I wish it at least had the same camera as the 5s.

16. yinz macrumors 6502a

This.

I don't get this complaint. Are you one of these?

[​IMG]

17. palpatine macrumors 68040

the camera was a bummer. when i saw the specs in the presentation, though, i just thought "this is just like apple." we don't give you the best, or even all we could, but just enough to drive an upgrade cycle while we hold back some stuff for the next iteration. then, when we announce the "amazing" iPad 6 with a new camera we'll treat it as if it was a brand new invention. But I still keep buying, so i guess they know what they are doing. Every year, Android and Microsoft disappoint me a little less, but they are still nowhere close int he experience they offer.

----------

sure. i'll use whatever is at hand. and, it's great when you've got some documents to get in there for marking up. the camera is ok now, but nothing special.

18. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

Nope, as I already posted earlier. I am not paranoid, I do not like this feature and don't want it.

19. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Touch ID works amazingly well on my iPhone, I just press the button and I'm in, no waiting...way faster than my password. So now it just annoys me to have to type in the password on my iPad. I would have loved touchID, so now I am not upgrading my iPad, no reason to for me at least.

And sadly now I will be angry every time I have to open my iPad, and no I don't use a 4 digit code, so it's super anoying:D

20. gadget123 macrumors 68000

Siri never came to iPad 2 did that slow IPhone 4 sales or IPad 2? No.

21. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Looks like Ll we got was a faster processor and thinner/lighter.

Do not care for the thinner and lighter as it will sacrifice structural integrity and we will start to see bent iPads soon. I would rather have the few improvements in the regular size iPad. Just think of the battery you could put in that.

If I wanted smaller and lighter, I would buy a mini.