Don't you guys just love the MBP battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SephirothXR, Sep 4, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

My Biology class was 1.5 hours and I had less than 20% on my new MBP to type notes in a class where the teacher tests on what she says and talks very quickly. The MBP said 20% = 2 hours w/o wi-fi. I couldn't believe it, and I can lift it with 2 fingers, it's the perfect college laptop (besides a netbook, which isn't all that powerful)! Do you guys think that the battery is definitely a big selling point of the MBP? That was one of the biggest reasons I bought it and it's serving its purpose!

2. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

I have the same thoughts on the mbp's (new ones). For college battery life is critical while you are "in class."

They are also very powerful machines and they look beautiful. I have a early 09 one (same as the june 09 unibody mbp's except without the 7 hour battery, only a 5 hour one).

I frequently get that 5 hour rating as well which is awesome and definately worth it since a typical day at university for me is almost 6 hours long, and counting the times I put this to sleep and dim the display, I easily make that without ever having to plug this thing in.

Glad you like it :D I love mine :)

3. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

Don't we just love all batteries in every Apple product..

4. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Yup. Definitely. This battery's epicly awesome:D. Couldn't ask for better;). Watched 5 hrs of DVDs on the plane a couple weeks ago.:rolleyes:

Epic.

Just imagine. In 20 years, we'll have even longer life batteries:eek:, like, 24 hrs or something:D

5. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

in 20 years, we don't have any battery anymore. because Power will be Wireless. :D

6. RKpro macrumors 6502

The batteries themselves are nice, but it's also due to the high energy efficiency of the MBPs. LED backlighting, ddr3 ram, and the 9400 chipset... etc. sip on power compared to cheap hardware used in acers and HPs, that's why they only get 2 hours tops out of 6 cells.

Even on my small 50Wh late 2008, i can get 5.5 hours if I'm careful. Not that I need to be because most of my classes have power outlets in the seats/desks. :p

7. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'd say power will be wireless in 5 years, and by twenty years if not ten engineers will be able to create perpetual laptops with the battery powering some sort of alternator/generator on the fly.

9. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Laws of the universe

Wouldn't that break the 2nd law of thermodynamics?

Don't you remember the Simpsons!!!!! Even Homer respects the 2nd law of thermodynamics

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Apple will be the first to disprove such nonsense :D

11. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Ummm, no. Matter of fact I can say my 12" PB, Nano chubby, 2nd gen. Nano & all shuffles have been the only products I've had a while I can give a bettery thumbs up to. My 13" MPB is so far so good but let's see how she's rockin' in a year.

Bad Batteries:
    Touch
    Gen. 1 MBP
    3 MB's
    PB 15" 1.67
    newest gen. Nano
    1st, 2nd, 3rd Gen. Ipod
    Wallstreet PB
    borderline - 2 MBA's
    Sure there's a couple more but it's late here....:eek:

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes. You can't get more energy out than you put in.

13. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

do the batteries last longer? I know they have longer runtimes b/c it's simply a bigger battery, but can they be recharged 1000 times? are your capacities dwindling at 1/3 the rate of a normal battery?

14. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

I LOVE my MBP's battery. I'm only in High school, but i find myself constantly at the library or out of the house, and i almost never have to carry around the charger. Then at home i can just sit back anywhere and not worry about the battery.

Probably one of my top 3 favorite things about this.

15. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Good point :D

16. brendu macrumors 68020

I think its better than any other battery in a laptop comparable to this one, but i cant say im amazed... i have never gotten 7 hours out of it, and most of the time its more like 5... so i cant complain because 5 is still great, but i wish it got the 7 they advertise... and i have tried several different tricks and types of usage to get to 7 hours.. unsuccessfully.

17. Meever macrumors 6502a

Even last year's MBP batterys and the ones before that were pretty decent. You could eerk out 4 hours of notetaking with some minimalistic techniuqes.