Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

critic81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Massachusetts
Especially with the new iPhone 6 Plus, I really wish Carplay was available as an app that could run on the phone. Or really just make a car mode. It really would make using the phone while driving much easier.

I have a mount in my car and the phone sits on it while I'm driving. The screen on my iPhone 6 Plus is almost as big as my Mazda CX-9's screen. With most automakers moving at the pace of a snail in the technology area of their cars, I really feel like Carplay as an App would be amazing.

Here is to hoping that some day it is!

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I really wish car mode (Carplay) would be a app that would be much easier than trying to get car manufacturers to implement it in their system...

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Apple won't even allow "AppleTV" to be an app for our Macs (specifically, the Mac Mini) because they would prefer to sell a $99 box So I highly doubt they'd allow CarPlay.app when they can sell/partner with others and charge $1000.

What's interesting is that "CarPlay App" is exactly what NFC is great for. Set up a car specific profile, set up an NFC sticker to remember it and every time you get in the car just tap the sticker to put yourself in "Car Mode". Obviously we can't do that on iOS since there's no profiles, no unlocked NFC and no CarPlay.app.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
You are missing the point entirely - an app on the phone can never override the operation/functionality of your car's hardware. :eek:

Like wanting your phone to be able to start your lawn mower and cut your grass.

critic81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Massachusetts
You are missing the point entirely - an app on the phone can never override the operation/functionality of your car's hardware. :eek:

But that is not what carplay does. Carplay just gives you a simpler interface to your phone so you can be less distracted while driving. With the bigger screen on the iPhone 6 Plus I feel there could be an app or mode to be able to do that.

Truthfulie

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2013
They could simply enable this with Siri and let drivers use voice activated the CarPlay features if the car has Bluetooth connectivity. I don't find myself really needing visuals when I drive.

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
They could simply enable this with Siri and let drivers use voice activated the CarPlay features if the car has Bluetooth connectivity. I don't find myself really needing visuals when I drive.

I'm using a Parrot Minikit neo which simply fixes on my car visor. I can active Siri by saying 'Hello Siri' at any point without pressing buttons, really well integrated.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
I can recommend "CarTunes" for the music at least. Stays on and easy swipe gestures to control. Other then that, Siri is the best option. I definitely think Siri should "time out" though and take you back to your last screen

critic81

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Massachusetts
I can recommend "CarTunes" for the music at least. Stays on and easy swipe gestures to control. Other then that, Siri is the best option. I definitely think Siri should "time out" though and take you back to your last screen

Ya I use Siri a bunch and yes it should time out after a little. It does on the lock screen.

sodapop1

Suspended
Sep 7, 2014
Apple won't even allow "AppleTV" to be an app for our Macs (specifically, the Mac Mini) because they would prefer to sell a $99 box So I highly doubt they'd allow CarPlay.app when they can sell/partner with others and charge $1000.

What's interesting is that "CarPlay App" is exactly what NFC is great for. Set up a car specific profile, set up an NFC sticker to remember it and every time you get in the car just tap the sticker to put yourself in "Car Mode". Obviously we can't do that on iOS since there's no profiles, no unlocked NFC and no CarPlay.app.

No you're missing the point, for everything that Apple has not created, it's just part of a big conspiracy to get you to buy what they've already created. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.