Doom 3 - App Store - rMBP & Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dabbler, Jul 29, 2012.

1. dabbler macrumors member

Noticed Doom 3 has been dropped to £5 and stated as being retina ready, used to love this game so purchased - thought it would be fun to play with maxed out settings on the rMBP.

However it doesn't work. I'm shocked they can advertise a game a retina when it doesn't even work on the only retina computer apple sell!

It appears to be a mountain lion compatibility issue, a friend runs it on lion without issues.

Any suggestions on what to do to get a refund? I've emailed aspyr, but considering many of their titles take so long (if at all) to be patched I'm not holding my hopes up.

2. drews macrumors newbie

It works quite well for me on my Retina MBP (2.6/16gb) and Mountain Lion at 2880x1800 w/ultimate detail, although I need to select the discrete GPU before starting the game (using gfxCardStatus). Not all the textures are high res but it generally looks superb...

3. elglasso macrumors newbie

Hey - i just got Doom 3 on my Retina MBP with Mountain Lion - how did you get it to work? What are the right settings? PLEASE help!!!

4. dabbler thread starter macrumors member

Just email them and ask for a refund. It really p*ss*s me off that that apps like this (which have not been updated for years) are on the mac app store saying "retina ready" and discounted to "celebrate mountain lion"!

What a load of old toss. Its not even been properly tested. Its v 1.3.1 rev a which was released in 2007!

No wonder it dose not work - Apple should NOT allow devs to make these claims when they are not true.

I explained to Apple and they refunded my purchase. They should also remove the app.

5. clamchowderz macrumors member

Well thats a bummer. I was looking forward to playing this right now...