Doom 3 freezes with 9600m gt, but not with 9400m

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by $t3vil, Oct 31, 2008.

1. $t3vil macrumors newbie

So I just got my 2.4 MBP with 2g of ram, put my copy of doom 3 in and installed and updated. When I'm using the "Higher Performance" setting, I start at the beginning of the game and go run through a couple doors, skip through a couple cut scenes and after about 1 min when I am almost to the guy that assigns you your first little mission I get to one of the doors and when it goes to open the framerate drops to about 1 frame every 3 to 5 seconds. Even if I hit escape and the menu pops up it is still just as slow.

I change to the "Better battery life" setting(the 9400m) and there doesnt seem to be any problems.

So far I have just had it at max res. at ultra quality and I tried with vertical sync and 2xAA on then with both off. Once I get more time I will fiddle around some more but just wondering if anyone had any ideas. The machine doesn't get amazingly hot or anything and as soon as I exit the game everything is fine.

2. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Possibly poor drivers. Which drivers are you using?

3. $t3vil thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm playing it in os x so whatever the latest drivers are from apple.

4. LinMac macrumors 65816

I'm not familiar with Doom 3 on OS X.

Are you playing the game natively in OS X or through some compatibility layer?

5. $t3vil thread starter macrumors newbie

Natively, there is a UB update for it. It worked just fine on the alu iMac I had.

6. $t3vil thread starter macrumors newbie

K it freezes up with the 9400m as well I just didn't play long enough the other day... not sure what the hell is up. Oh well I've already played through the whole game anyway.