Doom 3; Macbook Pro Struggles.. read on

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by snogger, Mar 8, 2009.

1. snogger macrumors newbie

Hey, all.
    My girlfriend has a Macbook Pro silver aluminum (pervious generation to the most current gen) and I wanted to scare her brains out by snuggling up and spending an evening subjecting her to Doom 3, but d!@#mnit! This MBP won't even produce GRAPHICS of ANY kind when I launch it on her machine! Sound works, I can hear the ID ident and the Doom 3 main menu music, and if i move the mouse around, I can even hear the cursor "beep" as it runs across the "load game, new game, etc" selections in the menu.

My iBook G4 runs it better (albeit, crappily) then hers! This shouldn't be. I've tried switching resolutions, color schemes, reinstalls, zap PRAM etc...

Now, there are some issues with this computer that you techies might want to be aware of; There were lots of internal software problems, and after a nice trip to the Genius Bar and an archive install later, more problems seemed to arise.

The only thing I can think of is that there's something seriously wrong with the graphics card, or the way the computer is processing graphics.

Tech specs:
    2.4 GHz inTEL cORE 2 Duo
    memory: 2 GB 667 MHz
    DDR2 SDRAM

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

Do you have the latest update for the game? Can be found at MacGameFiles

3. snogger thread starter macrumors newbie

I do... it's 1.3.1, I believe. Its very disturbing that the graphics are totally not there... as if the computer is delivering 0 information in the directions of graphics, etc.

4. 7254278 macrumors 68020

However painful it my seem I think your best bet is to reinstall the OS. Not an archive and install but a fresh installation. If it doesnt work then, then try a couple of other games, if you get the same result, tell apple you have a dud MBP.

5. snogger thread starter macrumors newbie

painful as it is, you're probably right. Let me ask you this; Would an OS reinstall erase all the contents of the computer as it is now?

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if you do an erase then everything will be gone, not sure about just reinstalling.

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Run the Apple Hardware Test to check if it is a hardware issue. Make sure that the game and OS are fully updated.

I had the same problem as you, never solved it. Ended up playing it with Boot Camp.

8. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

maybe remove the "Doom 3" folder located here:
    /Users/YOU/Library/Application Support/Doom 3

If that doesn't work, a reinstall of the game could do the trick.. So long as you're running the latest release then all should be fine. Weird one this :confused:

What does the console report anything? Hope you get sorted..

9. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

And you're 100% sure that you've installed the 1.3.1 Rev A Universal Binary patch? Where "Universal Binary" is the important part for that Intel machine. Right-click (Option-click) on Doom3.app, select "Get Info" and make sure that it says "Application (Universal)" and -not- "Application (PowerPC)". If you see the latter, your problem is right there.

You also do NOT want to have "Open using Rosetta" checked.

10. lewdvig macrumors 65816

It would have to be one hell of a game to justify a complete OS install.

11. snogger thread starter macrumors newbie

haha true... and it is! in my opinion. And I'm just quite stubborn about being beaten/outsmarted by a computer. So do you think a system reinstall will erase existing files?

12. KBai macrumors newbie

I had the same problem, but the patch fixed it right up. I think this guy is right.