Doom 3 on MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by L0s7man, Aug 11, 2011.

1. L0s7man macrumors 6502

Did anyone try to run Doom 3 on MBA? According to notebookcheck.net's GPU guide it should run alright even on the integrated Intel GPU (it is a few years old game after all...). Well, it won't run on Lion so I can't really check that on my new MBA.

However, when I tried running Doom 3 on my old MBA 11" with Geforce 320M the results were rather poor. It wasn't playable on any settings. This is kinda weird as notebookcheck's Doom 3 benchmark shows >100 fps on 320M.

Maybe I should install Windows and try then. I'd love to play Doom 3 again. It's been a while ;-)

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I ran Crusader: No Remorse on a DOS VM session in Parallels. Too bad I couldn't get sound going... :rolleyes:

Doom 3 should run fine. I love that game...

3. L0s7man thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha, I tried running Crusader: No remorse on Dosbox on Mac OS, but couldn't get it going. Need to try again; that's an awesome game! (and Crusader: No regret too!).

Still bugged about Doom 3; it should work just fine on my 11" MBA; I just finished playing Prey and it worked great. It must be crappy port or else I don't know.

4. ZBoater, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You're a GENIUS! I tried DOS Box and I got it working! The only bad thing is DOS Box won't go full screen. It crashes when I hit Alt-Enter. But the game plays! Wow, never thought I'd see that again... :cool:

EDIT: Never mind, figured out the dosbox.conf file, set the output to opengl, and full screen works! I ain't sleeping tonight!!!

5. L0s7man thread starter macrumors 6502

ZBoater: what version of Crusader do you have?

gog.com released it recently, but I found it somewhat hard to use it with DOSBox. Hmm... maybe I should try again.

6. LeakedDave macrumors regular

Dude Doom 3 runs like a charm here. And Quake 4. Ran well on both my 2010 13" Ultimate and now my 2011 13" Ultimate.

7. L0s7man thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm... Weird. I just installed Bioshock demo and it runs OK while Doom doesn't. This is really strange.

But 2011 13" MBA? How? It refused to run on Lion altogether. Which version do you have (where from)?

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It's the original version I bought in 1995. I still have the box.... :cool:

I couldn't get Dosbox to see my SuperDrive, so I copied the contents of the cd to my hard drive and mounted that as a D: drive, installed from there. The curious thing is that it will only work if I leave that source directory mounted. It wants to "see" the source it installed from before it will run.