Doom 3

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by spencecb, May 10, 2009.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Not sure too many people will care, as Doom 3 has been out for a few years now, but I just purchased the game and am loving it!

It creates tension and suspense, and I find that makes a great experience when playing a game.

I had downloaded the demo a long time ago when it was released, but never bothered getting it because I had an iMac G5, and wasn't sure that the computer would be powerful enough to play the game.

I just bought a new iMac, 2.93 GHz Core 2 Duo, with the nVidia 120 (I can't afford the better graphics right now). I'm super pleased with the performance of this computer.

Anyway, I'm loving Doom3, even though I may be late on the bandwagon.

Is the expansion worth getting?

2. omgwut macrumors 6502

omgwut

I thought the expansion was awesome. Its pretty short but there's a sweet new double-barrel shotgun, and you get a weapon called the artifact (like the soulcube from D3) that lets you absorb the powers of the three different bosses you fight through the game called the hunters. And there's also the grabber which is basically a gravity gun device to throw objects with, and of course more crazy hell levels. :D

The only problem is the expansion only exists for Windows, so if you don't already use Bootcamp to dualboot you must if you want to play.

3. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Good to know. I do have Windows 7 installed on my iMac, so that wouldn't be a problem. It's a shame that they didn't develop this for the Mac, though.

4. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Don't jump the gun and buy the expansion until you're done with this game.

I thought this game was the bee's knees in the beginning but it was also pretty easy to fall out of love with, too.

5. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Wouldn't buy the expansion before I'm done with the original. Any estimates on how many hours of gameplay before getting through the whole game?

6. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I never finished.

I keep writing stuff, then deleting it b/c I don't want to ruin your fun if you're enjoying the game.

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I thought it was pretty long. But thats probably because I played for only a few minutes per session because I was too scared to continue :D

I never finished it too ^^ Maybe someday...

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm a big Doom fan and whilst Doom 3 was nothing like the originals in so many gameplay aspects - I loved it :).

RoE is great too, I haven't played through it yet but what I did play was better than the original game. It just started off in a much better way and the gravity and time weapons are really fun to use. Bought the id MegaPack on Steam the moment they released it :D, paid about £25 for everything id ever made!

9. Riverbird macrumors member

Doom 3 is great! I have both Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom and Doom 3 on my Macintosh. The expansion is great as well, I only wish it was ported to Mac OS X because I dislike bootcamping Windows just to play a game or two.

I can only hope Doom 4 won't be Windows only because I'll surely get it for my Macintosh. But if it isn't on Mac OS X, I'll just end up getting it for my PS3!