"Doomsday" Seed Vault Opens in Arctic

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Unspeaked, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

LINK

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Doesn't the world already have 5 or 6 of these things now, do we really need yet another one?

(I'm not going to be alive when the time comes for it to be needed so why should I care :D)

3. the vj macrumors 6502a

I believe the issue is:

Who is gonna find or open a boonker hidden 100 meters underground?

Lets say there is this huge tragedy in the world and I am a surviver in Brasil... how am I going to find that spot? or anybody anywhere?

Is so protected that is actually impossible to find even in 5K years.

At list there is one but I believe there is a need for more information about how to use all those seeds and getting there in first place.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What if this great "Doomsday Event" is a melting of the Arctic ice, which floods that island so that it's completely underwater? How are we going to find it?

I think they should keep my sperm, and Jessica Alba's eggs, stored in this vault. I think that's the best decision for the human race. If the sperm and egg have to be used in case of an emergency of some sort, it'll be like I had sex with Jessica Alba and got her preggers (except without the fun).

5. the vj macrumors 6502a

Beter to have 300 Jessica Alba's 21 years old clones instead in a warehouse waiting to be fertilize... :)

Can you imagine if the switch the clones of Jessica for Britneys? :confused:

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Trust me. You just tell the remaining men they get to have sex with Jessica Alba, they'll find it.
    We're like bloodhounds. :D

7. Evangelion macrumors 68040

There are bunch of seed-banks around the world, this is kinda like a backup for those. Quite often those local seed-banks are destroyed in wars (like what happened to the one in Iraq) and other disasters. If that happens, those local seed-banks can get the seeds they deposited there and start over.

8. Queso macrumors G4

A couple of large untimely volcanic eruptions in the next few years could mean it happens earlier than you think. Don't rule out what nature could potentially throw at us. The planet itself isn't the most stable thing.

(And no, I'm not being overly apocalyptic with that statement. The seed bank is there just in case the future isn't as lovely as we all hope it will be)

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I think they covered the making of this vault on the Discovery Channel and specifically mentioned that it's high up enough not to get flooded if the ice caps melt.

Now how to find it is another question, but the bigger question is how to pollinate all the plants after the bees are gone. What fun times we live in!

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The Vault should contain all kinds of stuff like bees, Jessica Alba clones, seeds, farm knowledge, Mac World videos, and McDonalds food while you wait for the seeds to grow into food producing plants.

11. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

12. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Why not just keep you and Jessica Alba locked up in the vault? Or me and her, for that matter.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

A significant global disaster could strike at any time without much warning. I wouldn't be that presumptuous. A meteor could strike the Earth in 2013 and that would be that, now wouldn't it? :cool:

14. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Nuclear seeds? Don't they grow into Power Plants? :eek:

15. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

That is just awful.

:p

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Is that bee problem still around, or is that last year's problem?

17. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

They say it's worse...

It actually may start affecting crop yields and market prices by next year if it doesn't get better soon.

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

<applause>

Bravo, that gets my bastardly seal of approval. :D