Doomsday virus fizzles out.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by velocityg4, Jul 11, 2012.

1. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

http://news.discovery.com/tech/doomsday-virus-fizzles-120710.html#mkcpgn=rssnws1

What I don't get is why has this been handled so poorly from the get go? When the FBI originally took over these servers instead of letting people affected keep browsing as usual. Everything they tried to do on the internet should have been redirected to a page with the FBI logo stating their computer is infected get it fixed by a professional or do it yourself and provide download links to the removal program. If you can do absolutely nothing online you are going to get the hint.

Now the ISP's should at least send a letter to every affected customer alerting them of the same thing. Instead some are helping them remove it, some are doing nothing and letting their computers go offline and some are just letting the problem continue by creating their own DNS server.

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

You're right. That does sound like a bad solution. If these computers have one virus (DNSchanger), they likely have another as well. Let these people know there's a problem and hire a professional to fix it. Like me. I can use the money. :D

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The reason they did not do that from the get go was because it would mean huge number of people would be effected by it in one hit plus it would slam those servers.

I honestly feel it was handled really well and how it fizzled out was a good thing. It mean the FBI did their job correctly and others that jumped in as well did it correctly. It is one of those things you just want to slowly die off.

That is why they left them running for so long to give time for the word to get out and things get corrected in a controlled non panic method. It is hard to get the needed tools to remove said virus if you can not go onto the internet to download them.

4. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Thinning the herd...

"Idiot proof" the Internet and only idiots would want to use it.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

imo, if there are still computers affected by this virus then its a failure to fix the problem. all that they've been doing has been a stop-gap solution that works for not but not forever. especially since there was and is a way of identifying the affected machines, people should be notified of the problem so they can fix it and then we wouldn't have this problem of people losing their internet abilities suddenly and without warning.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How many people even knew about it, supposedly the FBI was warning pepole a year ago, I just heard about it last week.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Bad luck. You weren't one of the Chosen Pepole. :)

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my point is that since the FBI and ISPs are able to identify who has the virus because of they are using those specific DNS servers, they could have contacted them by blocking the internet with a splash page that informs them that they have a virus with links to info/tools to remove it. setting up DNS servers to maintain their connection to the 'net does no good since they're unlikely to even know they have the virus.