Door to door solicitor giving free iPads?

Holoshed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
North Carolina
This is actually a joke question of a random thought I had. Someone just showed up at my doorstep, knocked and sort of forced her hand in with an iPad and said "we would like you to sign up for workmanship America (forgot the name), read about it here and click sign up". She actually handed me the iPad, like it was a gift, me inside the house and her outside.

I tried to hand it back and she kept insisting I read what it said.

My odd and twisted question is this, just because I wonder (I gave the iPad back but I have a weird mind)... Since she handed it to me, inside the door, literally thrust it in to me... Would it be illegal for me to thank her for the nice gift and keep it?

Especially seeing I have a pretty big "No Solicitors" sign on the storm door, big enough to see from the street.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
This is actually a joke question of a random thought I had. Someone just showed up at my doorstep, knocked and sort of forced her hand in with an iPad and said "we would like you to sign up for workmanship America (forgot the name), read about it here and click sign up". She actually handed me the iPad, like it was a gift, me inside the house and her outside.

I tried to hand it back and she kept insisting I read what it said.

My odd and twisted question is this, just because I wonder (I gave the iPad back but I have a weird mind)... Since she handed it to me, inside the door, literally thrust it in to me... Would it be illegal for me to thank her for the nice gift and keep it?

Especially seeing I have a pretty big "No Solicitors" sign on the storm door, big enough to see from the street.
YOu should have taken it, slammed the door, locked it, ran through the house, out the back and kept going.

Comment

Holoshed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
North Carolina
Maybe you should try to learn not to say/post everything that pops into your mind. Yes, I know it's hard.
Some people use facebook, some use twitter, I came here. :p

I thought someone might get a laugh out of it like I did, even if you didn't laugh you thought enough to respond and for that, we thank you! (Tosh.o joke)

Comment

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012

I thought someone might get a laugh out of it like I did, even if you didn't laugh you thought enough to respond and for that, we thank you! (Tosh.o joke)
I'd laugh had you really taken the iPad....

Comment

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...Since she handed it to me, inside the door, literally thrust it in to me... Would it be illegal for me to thank her for the nice gift and keep it?...
No, because she didn't transfer ownership of the property. If you handed someone your iPhone, iPad or any item do think they would now "own" it?

Comment

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
It would be theft. That's like going to the store at a buy one, get one free sale and taking one without paying for the first one, you'd be arrested for theft.

Comment

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
If somebody refuses to take it back, I'd say you're well within your rights to shut the door on her whilst still holding the iPad, but if she then knocks asking for it back, you'd be obliged to give her it.

Comment

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012

I got a good laugh. Thanks! :)

Comment

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
And you're a poor speller.

Your vs you're, the never ending race towards anti intellectualism!!

:D
Your is the second person possessive adjective, used to describe something as belonging to you. Your is nearly always followed by a noun. But doesn't have to be.

Comment

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
"Door to door solicitor...". This made me smile. In the UK 'solicitor' is the same as a 'lawyer'.
If your "solicitors" (non-trial lawyers) are anything like our lawyers here in the States, the difference between a legal solicitor, and a door-to-door hustler, is negligible.:rolleyes:

(To all the attorneys reading this...just a little joke.:D)

Very little...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.