Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tdosthp

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2015
I went with Ring, prior to Amazon acquisition, when there was still talk of HomeKit integration. Doubt it will happen now, but too far in financially to justify anything else with HK compatibility so haven’t researched much and can’t help much. My Ring products work well; I am happy for now. I have doorbells, several spotlight cameras, and the alarm system. The way the HomeKit app is now, not sure I would enjoy integration with HK.

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Ring Pro for me works great.
I have come to terms with Homekit comes an additional price and level of issues that I don't particularly want to deal with.
The trade off of having a better piece of equipment versus having Homekit compatibility is real with all the pieces I have tested with and I will take a better functioning piece of equipment over having Siri be able to handle a particular thing.

Again, for me.

Reactions: Tdosthp

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Best doorbell with video for HomeKit?
The best is probably something like a Netatmo Presence and a Zigbee HomeKit-enabled button such as the Philips Dimmer Switch duly covered as you like for any weatherproofing and labels you may require.

drmikey

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Seattle
I just installed the Ring Pro yesterday after a lot of research. I’m slightly hopeful they will bring HK, but not holding my breath. The only thing I think I would use it for would be when the actual doorbell is pushed. Activate lights or something along those lines. I wouldn’t trigger HK based on motion as the kids and animals (deer, turkeys) are around too much to be useful.

As far as the Ring Pro, I’m liking it a lot. The video quality is good and response time plenty fast. I don’t have the fasted internet with 36mb down and 2mb up. The upload and WiFi signal strength at the doorbell is what makes or breaks any of these.

Reactions: AlliFlowers
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.