Dorky question about Star Trek Sounds for mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Queenredspecial, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Queenredspecial macrumors regular

On my old old old apple laptop, (before OSX,) someone had given me a disk with some program that installs star trek sounds as the sounds of the computer. (Warnings, alerts, etc..) When I lost that computer, I lost the sounds as well.

Since then I have looked, but have found nothing like that.

Has anyone heard of such an application or know where to find one?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you try Google? First and second search results!
    Picture 1.jpg

3. Queenredspecial thread starter macrumors regular

I did -- however, from the first result, i downloaded a folder with .caf sounds, (which my computer couldn't open,) and the second is what I have found many times -- simply sound files. I was looking for a software that can integrate those sounds into my computer alerts -- more than I can do manually.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I opened the .caf files just find, both by previewing using the space bar, as well as with Quicktime. If you drag them to the Sounds folder, Mac OS X will use them just fine.

5. Queenredspecial thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for responding. To clarify -- I have found (and already have) many individual star trek sound files. What I was looking for though was a way to put it into my OS.

When I go into system preferences>Sound, there are only the built-in computer sounds, with no option to customize. That's why I was looking for something that would add itself on somehow, if that's possible. The fact that I have not found anything like that leads me to believe that either A. it's not possible, or B. i don't know how to do something very simple.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you put the .caf files in your Sounds folder, they will be available through System Preferences, just like the standard sounds.

7. Queenredspecial thread starter macrumors regular

Brilliant, thanks! (Didn't know one could do that...)

Now one more last question -- where is that Sounds folder? (I did a spotlight search, and did not find it)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Picture 5.jpg
    Spotlight won't find it:
    Picture 3.jpg
    Then, in System Preferences > Sound:
    Picture 4.jpg

9. Queenredspecial thread starter macrumors regular