Dorm Room Digital w/Apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by exhibitionist, Nov 28, 2007.

1. exhibitionist macrumors newbie

I had a Power Mac G5 when they first came out, but I switched back to Windows for games. Shame on me.

Now, I'm heading off to college, and I've had my fill of Microsoft for a lifetime, games or not. I refuse to taint whichever shiny new Mac I buy with Windows+BootCamp. I've been lost in the Windows-world for a long time, so I need to be reassured that everything will work as planned. I tried the Xbox 360 media center thing, and it was intentionally crippled to the point of uselessness. I need to know that Apple doesn't do business like that.

I'm thinking of getting a 2.2GHz MacBook w/2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, mini-DVI to DVI cable, Leopard & iWork pre-installed. I want to drag this thing around campus and, when I'm in my room, connect it to a 1080p display via Apple's miniDVI-to-DVI plus a monoprice DVI-to-HDMI adapter. I'll also have a miniTOSLINK-to-TOSLINK cable connected to my audio receiver. Could AirTunes be usefully used here instead? Will Front Row output to these devices? Is DHCP an issue? Most of my videos are XviD AVI's using MP3 VBR audio; does Front Row play these? Can Front Row upscale the video to 1080p native, or does it leave that to my television? My audio is all LAME and ALAC, so no problems there, I hope.

How well does Bonjour bode on a college network? Are the possibilities as endless as they appear? How does a college network connection work? If I need a few connections, do I need a router or just a switch? I just bought a 1TB Western Digital MyBook World Edition. It operates as network-attached storage (NAS) device. In Windows, it runs under some "MioNet" ******** where they want me to pay them money to partially uncripple it. Even if I paid for MioNet, they restrict the transfer of files with media file extensions, because they're sleeping with Hollywood. Will this NAS device work like it's supposed to under Leopard?

I want to get into video production as a hobby to keep me busy between coursework. If I'm lucky, I'll get Final Cut Studio 2 Academic and an HD (1080p) camcorder for Christmas. Is this MacBook enough to manipulate this video? Is that wimpy Intel Integrated Graphics garbage enough? I have two external HDD's (500GB & 1TB), so space for raw video is no issue. For the best interoperability, I should be looking for a camcorder that has a firewire port, right? Any recommendations?

I think that's everything. That's a lot. It'd better be. Thanks.

2. goldenlotus macrumors regular

I think you'd be pushing it to try and edit HD video on a macbook. Might be able to slug through it on a MBP but you really need a mac pro for that kind of processing. The macbook doesn't even have dedicated video ram.

3. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

If you want to get into video production as a hobby then get a nice easy inexpensive MiniDV camera, 1080p is total overkill.

And if you're like most other college students you'll never pick up the video camera anyway so it won't matter.

4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

you should also see if your school has a media lab or something where you could edit. this way, you could get the macbook and use school computers to do your serious editing.