Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B1gMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I am preparing to head off to college in the next week and I am looking to find a good set of speakers to complement my new macbook pro. My budget is $150. But, I would be a lot happier if I didn't have to spend that much as long as quality and functionality wouldn't be hindered too much.

First and foremost, I want these speakers to work well for a dorm a party. This means that a good bass would be nice. Also, there should be some consideration towards the design of the speakers (without compromising durability). In addition, I was hoping to have the option of connecting an iPod to the speakers (allowing friends to bring over their music too!).

I know i come off as being really nit-picky, but I wanted to put all my thoughts out there, so you guys could better advise me! So, any thoughts?

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
JBL Creatures II. can be had for less than $50. good-looking and sounds well (to my untrained ears)

iPod connection: get the apple universal dock

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Find the cheapest monitors you can, going to by far the loudest without sacrificing quality. I wouldn't be so concerned with the iPod part, since the iPhone won't work, just a regular TRS connection should do.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
Find the cheapest monitors you can, going to by far the loudest without sacrificing quality. I wouldn't be so concerned with the iPod part, since the iPhone won't work, just a regular TRS connection should do.

M-Audio monitors good? Or are there better manufacturers in their price range?

munson

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2008
Boston, MA
How did I forget the Swan M10

M-Audio is probably the only thing in that range, it will be better then most everythingelse, maybe a low-end set of Behringers... or Alesis

I have the M10's, but I couldn't find anywhere to actually buy them now. I think that model is discontinued or something. The M12's are just as good, although they;re kind of ugly.

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
I know they're expensive (~150 at apple store) but just go with the M-Audio 40's. You'll have 3 inputs, look good, compact (dorm), sound great (loud), and you will never get rid of them since you can take them anywhere after college.

I also like not having a subwoofer. Yes, always sounds better with a sub but then there are storage issues and the thumping bass while good will annoy your neighbors quicker in a dorm or apartment situation.

engles

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
Logitech X-240
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/232&cl=us,en

I absolutely love these speakers. They were only $50 and sound great they have two inputs. I use one for my computer and one for my tv both are standard audio jacks.(3.5mm)

These are so good that my sister went out and bought them and so did my good friend... They really liked mine so got their own... Best Buy seems to have them at almost all of their stores.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/232&cl=us,en

munson

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2008
Boston, MA
I haven't heard the M12's...12 is bigger then 10 definitely not prettier

Yeah, the really are a bit of an eyesore, especially in comparison to the 10's. They do sound awesome, though. The warm bass sound is something found in little to no 2.1 speakers systems for that price range, compared to the M10/M12's anyway.

digitalpencil

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Manchester, UK
I've got a set of these, the sound's surprisingly good and they're quite simple to assemble, you will of course require an amp as well but you can split them off that way and run a sub..
i've got another vinyl tokyoplastic bass-bin i've modified to carry a bass driver but you can run a regular one just as easily :D

diy_munny_speakers.jpg

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I know they're expensive (~150 at apple store) but just go with the M-Audio 40's. You'll have 3 inputs, look good, compact (dorm), sound great (loud), and you will never get rid of them since you can take them anywhere after college.

I also like not having a subwoofer. Yes, always sounds better with a sub but then there are storage issues and the thumping bass while good will annoy your neighbors quicker in a dorm or apartment situation.

IMO, the M40s prbly would be overwhelmed by the sub.....I'd still go with the Swan's

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
Just an fyi, if you're in an actual dorm building and pump the bass very late at night your neighbors will very quickly hate you.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I bought the Logitech Z5300e for only $100 from Amazon. My RA wanted to kill me. :D

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.