Dos and Donts - brand new 17" MBP (expected!!)...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rknrolls, Apr 14, 2009.

1. rknrolls macrumors newbie

I CANT wait .... I bit the bullet and ordered the 17" MBP, 2.66, 320@7200, glossy.... and I cant wait for it to arrive, tracking via UPS almost 50 times a day. Looks like its just left South Korea....

Anyway, being a complete Mac newbie, I just wanted to know if there are obvious/non-obvious DOs and DONTs and D'OHs when my machine arrives?

Do I need to leave the battery for charging overnight before I fire it up?

Any good Dos that would help the machine in the short/long run? Any avoidable mistakes....

looking fwd to my first :apple: :D

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

3. rknrolls thread starter macrumors newbie

hope you not talking from experience there ;-), noted.

4. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

Just got my Umbp 17 yesterday. What the above poster said. Don't drop it :)

Have a good protective case and/or sleeve. A nice clean surface to work with, and any software you want ready to charge. No, you can plug it in and start to use it immediately. Mine came 99% charged (it was a custom order with the 7200 rpm hard drive option), and only took about 30 minutes ot charge to 100%.

In no particular order, a) install and run xbench, b) install Neo-Office, and c) have fun.

As an aside, if I run at 1920x1200 I have to use my reading glasses, otherwise, I run at 1680x1050 resolution.

Tom

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Don't:

Don't turn it on without charging, you'll do damage to the battery and it won't be able to hold it's charge as well, this isn't just mac related, all laptops are the same. Charge before use, or during use.

Don't drink to close to it, if you spill anything on it and it gets inside, it voids your applecare.

Do:

Download and install the application Onyx, it's a very good maintenance app.

Download Adium and use that as your IM client instead of MSN for Mac, MSN for Mac is very slow and buggy, Adium is much lighter and faster, and supports a vast array of other IM protocols, such as Facebook, AIM, Yahoo, Skype (Chat only, not voice). A new version of MSN for Mac is set to come out soon which will finally add in voice and video support, but for now, stick with adium :)

If this is your first mac, check out this page: Mac 101

That's all i can think of atm.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

..."do" like it for all the $$ you just paid for a machine/OS you haven't used before:eek:

7. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

do:
    smell it, when first time you open the box.... :D

8. rknrolls thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers guys.... will bear that in mind.

so far:

1. plug the power cable straight out of the box and let it recharge for a bit before firing it up.

2. Install xbench, onyx, Neo-Office (will have to look this one up!), disappointed that you cant voice chat with skype (I use this quite frequently!) is there another client for mac's that enables VOIP with skype?

3. smell it! ... oooh ya ;) like a new born, wonder if it will smell of biscuits too ...

My main concern is battery life and maintaining its cycles. I am trying to find a thread someone posted few days ago regarding how best to maintain longer battery life. I intend to use it in full graphics mode :D why not :p I am not going to be carrying it around much....

ooh yeah, how easy is it to install Crysis? any other cool games / apps that will kick PCs ass?!

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Sorry I wasn't clear in my post, that's just adium, you can download the official Skype app that has all the audio and video goodness that the Windows version has!

Do you mean Crysis for PC or Crysis for Mac (Is there even a Mac version?)?

10. magamo macrumors 6502

You might want to try some popular apps such as Growl, VLC, Cyberduck, The Unarchiver, and so on. I came across these apps when I was reading Mac Beginner's Guide.

As for donts, like others said, don't drop it. Also, never step on it. Ever. I felt like my heart was jumping out of my chest...

11. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Crysis will require you to install Windows via BootCamp. For this you'll need a Windows disc at hand, and your OS X restore discs (grey).

Run the Boot Camp installer in Applications\Utilities\ and follow the prompts. This will let you set the size of your Windows partition (I'd recommend 40GB or more), and you'll then restart the machine with the Windows disc in the optical drive.

Restart, and go through the normal Windows install. Once you're booted into Windows, pop in your OS X disc and install the drivers. Job done.

12. felt. macrumors 6502a

DO use it and enjoy it
    DONT be OCD and start a thread here if you notice one key on your keyboard is 0.01mm higher than the other keys

13. rknrolls thread starter macrumors newbie

This looks like a useful link! thanks... will read.

Looking into battery calibration right now... lots to read...

14. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

Oh yeah, forgot to add in: do download and install Coconut Battery. Will give you all sorts of useful information about your battery life/health.

Tom

(Installing Neo Office is so I do not have to install MS Office, but I had to install Windows XP anyway....sigh, so that I could multiplayer Civ 3 with someone using a PC).

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Just curious, why didnt you just pick one up at the apple store?

16. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Don't use it to cut cake, it's just the wrong laptop for the job. :p

Also do make sure you get a good laptop case - you can do a forum search for countless recommendations.

17. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Well, I charged it up and it worked fine from the moment I took it out of the box. I did the 5hr discharge after setting everything up, and increased my battery capacity by 300mAh to the maximum 13,000mAh. No damage to the battery at all.

What you will find is that the new 17" UMBP doesn't have any documentation, unlike previous and other MBP's, that urge you to calibrate the battery. It has been found by myself, and other members, that the new battery is actually quite resilient and doesn't need much in the way of calibrating, and is much better at taking care of itself compared to other batteries. It makes little or no difference to some.

18. rknrolls thread starter macrumors newbie

... wanted the 7200 option :D I was *very* tempted to just go for it [5400] at the store, but I knew I would have replaced it straight away. UPS seem to take *forever* just now, still waiting.... we'll see

oh ya, will install coconut battery - looks like a good app.

I still dont know if I should calibrate the battery soon the very first time I use it?

Get it outta the box -> plug in power chord -> let it charge to 100% -> cycle it down??? or use it for a month or so and then do a cycle???

19. rknrolls thread starter macrumors newbie

so you recommend calibrating it on the first day I get it??! :confused:

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I would have just picked one up at the local store and just use the 5400rpm hdd until I ordered the 7200rpm one from newegg.com.

Thats just me though because if something is wrong with either the screen or the whole mbp itself I could easily take it to the store for an exchange.

Anyway, congrats and enjoy!

21. CoolKen86 macrumors member

What happens if you turn it on before charging it??? is it bad for the battery? and how long do i leave it on he first charge?

22. Nonononstop macrumors newbie

23. JPP macrumors member

Hi

I have just taken delivery (a few days ago) of my 17" MBP and I love it. Had a 15" previously. My sincere advice on battery factor is this - DON'T fire it up as soon as you get it. Plug the MBP into the wall socket and let the battery fully charge then leave it in a fully charged state for 2 hours (you can use it during this 2 hours but make sure it's plugged in still to the wall socket) Then run the battery down flat and follow the calibration instructions i.e. allow it to sleep or be off for 5 hours or longer - then recharge and away you go. I would really recommend you do the calibration on the very first cycle.

Best

JP

24. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Thanks for spotting that, what I meant to put was

25. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i got mine the other day .. turned it on and it was pretty close to fully charged .. shut it down and plugged it in for a full charge .. let it go 2 hours more plugged in .. now just running it until it sleeps from low battery .. then gonna let it sit for 5 hours then full charge .. as per these instructions

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

now u guys have me nervous .. after the full charge and leaving it charging for 2 more hours .. im using it on battery power .. its still has 73% left .. but its off right now until i use it again and can drain it .. before letting it dissipate for 5 hours before recharging ..

is it ok ?
    and what app can u see how many cycles and capacity