DoS attack?! plz help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nj908, Jul 6, 2012.

1. nj908 macrumors newbie

I went into my router login to see my router settings. The firewall listed a "DoS attack" multiple times over the last few days. What should I do?! Is it because of my mac or my actual internet connection? Thanks!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You may want to unplug your cable or DSL modem for maybe 15-30 minutes then plug it back in to obtain a new IP from your ISP. Or call them and request they change it. That way the DoS won't be hitting your new IP.

Chances are it wasn't directed at you personally, but targeted your IP which is usually dynamically assigned by ISPs.

3. nj908 thread starter macrumors newbie

So simply unplugging it will obtain a new IP? That sounds too easy, but I'll do that do! I used the "erase and install" option to make sure there are no Trojans on my machine. Here is an example of something in my router's log

"[DoS Attack: ACK Scan]"

multiple things like this. I no longer have everything listed in the logs, but if you google "DoS attack netgear router," you will see people with similar log items.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Chances are it was listing that as something it found and/or attempted to work around. But yes, unplugging the modem for a short while, usually allows the ISP to assign it a new IP than it had before you unplugged it.

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

IP leases from ISPs will generally last longer than 30 minutes. You may need to be disconnected for potentially 24 hours or more.

6. Alameda, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

The router does not obtain the IP address, the modem does, so power cycling your router will only work if it's a gateway -- a combo router/modem. If it isn't, power cycle your modem.

However, a DoS attack is not a virus, it's an attempt to shut down your Internet connection by peppering your connection with requests. And it takes hundreds of thousands or millions of these requests from many different computers in order to work. Eventually, you can be hit with so many that your Internet connection fails. This probably isn't happening to you. The router could even be mis-categorizing the activity it's seeing.