DOS in Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hauntedcity, May 4, 2007.

1. hauntedcity macrumors member

hauntedcity

From what I've read, Parellels can handle several different operating systems (Windows XP, Vista, Linux, DOS, and more). What I really, really, really want to do is play old DOS games that I have on 3.5" floppies. Is this even possible?

Can DOS be installed from floppies using Parallels and a USB floppy drive? If so, once DOS in running in Parallels, will it be able to read a USB floppy drive? How about SoundBlaster or AdLib music card emulation?

Has anyone else tried this? I've got some great old Sierra adventure games and D&D gold box RPG's that are gathering dust since they won't run in Windows XP or 98.

Proud owner of a new MacBook and thinking hard about an iMac,
    Doug

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Do you already have the USB floppy drive? If so it can't hurt to give it a try.

I would think they would work though.

3. hauntedcity thread starter macrumors member

hauntedcity

I forgot about DOSBox! Do you know if it can see a USB floppy as an "a:" drive?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have no clue how a USB device would be mapped to the DOSBox.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I believe that you could mount a USB floppy as an A drive, or at least you could copy the floppies to your HD and run them from there.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian