Dose an ssd make a difference?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bushman1, Nov 16, 2008.

1. bushman1 macrumors regular

I am curious of an ssd actually makes your system faster and have better battery life on the new mbp. It is rely expensive and i want to know if it is worth it. I plan on getting an apple sdd and replacing the optical drive with a 500gig drive. Anyone actually cough up the 600$ to get it?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

So far SSD isn't all it's cracked up to be, it is marginally faster at some tasks and marginally slower at others. Also it uses about the same amount of power as disk drives, some say it uses more others say it uses less.

SSD is the future, but right now it has a lot of growing to do before it's better than HDD. The only advantages they currently have right now are getting random data off the disk (data that's not close together since there is basically zero seek time, as opposed to HDD that must move the needle head.) and life expectancy (SSD usually lasts a lot longer than HDD).

3. rolex54 macrumors 6502

its benefits are not worth the price tag at this point
    the intel drives are one of the only ones that boast an actual speed advantage, and they are very expensive

4. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

5. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

I just bought one tonight on a new MBA, have to say dead silent and very quick :;)

6. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I have also heard mixed reports on the actual speed, power and heat topic. I have heard though that the intel ssd is insanely fast (supposed to be faster than a wd 10,000 rpm wd velociraptor) but it cost way more than a normal ssd and I believe the max size is 80 gb and it cost around $621 american dollars.

The only true advantage right now would be that they are completely silent and they do not vibrate the notebook.

Personally I would suggest that you use a normal hdd and then in a year or two when they become cheaper and all around better, then you could upgrade.

I hope that helps.

7. bushman1 thread starter macrumors regular

8. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

Drop factor

They will not shatter or scratch