dose smart covers really scratch the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Paulshaqz, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Paulshaqz macrumors 6502a

i heard they do scratch your iPad because if that's true i probably better get full body screen protectors before i add it on?

2. gamecube117, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

gamecube117 macrumors 6502

They sell screen protectors for iPads? I didn't know that. I have one for my iPod Touch. Many of my friends have an iPad but they don't have screen protectors on them, they just have a case and there's no scratches on them, just smudges that you could see all the time (which can easily be wiped off). However, if you do add a screen protector, it kind of disturbs the quality of the iPad... (And also, aren't the screens for iPads suppose to be "scratch-proof"?)

3. maclook macrumors 65816

They don't scratch the iPad. I've used it by itself (no case, screen/back protectors) for a year and never had problems.

4. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I don't know about the poster above me, but both me and my cousin used the smart cover and it did indeed scratch our iPads. No smartcover for me with my new iPad, I don't like the fact that it doesn't have a back either.

5. ac4lt macrumors member

ac4lt

I've used a smart cover with my ipad 2 from the first day. After a year thare are some very, very minor scratches but I had to look carefully to be sure. I've never found a case I really liked. For me the smart cover works because I can remove it when using the ipad or use it as a stand on the table.

I normally transport the ipad in a slip case in my purse so it gets lots of protection there but when using it I generally like it naked. The smart cover has worked well for me because I get to remove it easily when I don't need it.

6. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I think its one of those "just depends" sort of things. While I'm sure a lightly-used iPad with a SmartCover could survive without scratches, I had mine on for the full year and traveled over 100K air miles with it, plus used it on construction sites extensively. Dust has a way of working into everything and I ended up with an absolutely tiny, almost invisible wear mark where the finish on the iPad had worn away to a shiny spot. You couldn't even see it unless you held it at just the right angle to light, but it was there.

7. its93rc macrumors 6502

its93rc

It left like 4 super minor scratches on mine :) (1 Year of usage)

8. maclook macrumors 65816

I used mine for the whole year pretty heavily (though no construction sites) and never took the Smart Cover off. I don't doubt that your iPads could get scratched but I've been surprised by how durable the back aluminum is considering I don't use any other form of protection.

My issue with the Smart Cover is that it gets itself dirty. It created black smudges on the suede (?) side, the magnet bar, and the hinge. It would leave a little black smudge on the iPad but that easily rubbed away. The black smudges don't rub off not Smart Cover itself though.

9. Paulshaqz thread starter macrumors 6502a

is there a case for the smart cover to mag on the case instead of the iPad to avoid scratches and without a back shield protector?

10. ipadrulesforeve macrumors newbie

mine does

i have an ipad 2 and the blue smart cover has scratched it not at the end but in the middle and i cant get it off just send me ur email and i can show u the photo
    my ipad ruined!!!!!:mad:

11. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Ruined? I'm sorry the tiny scratched have made your iPad inoperable.
    It's too bad a small scratch on the side makes the whole damn thing worthless now.
    :rolleyes:

12. Maziar macrumors 6502

I'd like to know as well.

13. kingalien macrumors regular

kingalien

My 2 had a couple of scratches on the side. Still sold it for top dollar when the 3 came out.

14. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Have never had a problem with a smart cover on the iPad 2 and iPad 3 over the last year. I remove and install the smart cover several times a day along with having a smart compliant back cover and have never had a single mark.