Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulshaqz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
i have a hairline scratch on my new iPhone 4s home button i know there is nothing really i can do but i was curious if that would help? and if so like regular white coal gate toothpaste?

frostbit3

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
I used to use tooth paste on items that I would sand down, I would go from 200 grit, 700 grit, to 2000 I believe, then finally finishing it with tooth paste. I would always use the cheap 99 cent tube that wasn't anything fancy, and had 0 issues. Keep in mind though that's it's kind of a PITA and takes a little bit, you won't probably see results for at least 5-10 minutes because of how fine the tooth paste is.

Jimbo.k

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
Brasso Duraglit gets scratches out of plastic, only thing it you will end up getting a chalky residue between the home button and screen.
images

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Here is the deal... If you can run your fingernail across it and it gets caught in the scratch, it is too deep for toothpaste or any polish to work. I have used toothpaste in the past to remove some scratches and have also used a more professional solution to do it as well. It will work but my guess is that it is to deep for it to be effective.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I really think it's not worth the risk, to be honest. The chances are that you'll make the situation a lot worse. Using an abrasive to remove scratches from a highly-polished surface doesn't make much sense. Fair enough on a matte/rough surface, but not glass or plastic!

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
I really think it's not worth the risk, to be honest. The chances are that you'll make the situation a lot worse. Using an abrasive to remove scratches from a highly-polished surface doesn't make much sense. Fair enough on a matte/rough surface, but not glass or plastic!

As I said, it isn't easy. I polish car headlight lenses and can tell you that you can restore "highly polished" to new if you know what you are doing. That being said, you can also ruin it quickly as well. Also, it is important to mention that this surface is also not just plain glass and any polishing on it could permanently damage it.

ijohnbro

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
steel wool on a glass surface with coating on it? Why not just use a sandblaster and finish it off with some furniture polish

ineedanewwallet

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
Is this for real? You're being this anal over a little scratch on your home button that you're actually considering rubbing friggin' toothpaste on it? Dude, get over it.

Lone-raver300%

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2018
Denmark
Hi! Just wandering, what polishing agent has the smallest "polishing particals" aka what does the work?

Really hope you can give me a good answer

osta.doc

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2016
I use a product called Flitz to polish tarnish off of carbon steels knife blades, and it works really well.

I can only assume it would work on already polished aluminum also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.