dot Mac on ebay

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mwp98223, Jun 14, 2007.

1. mwp98223 macrumors 6502

I was told you can purchase dot Mac accounts on ebay. Checking ebay I see there are accounts for sale and you may be able to buy at a discount.

My question is, how does this work? What am I purchasing and where do these accounts come from, that the seller can afford to sell at a discount? I guess I just assumed with dot mac you pay Apple directly to activate your account. Please explain this to me. Is it safe to buy from ebay if I find a disount I like?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

It works the same as anything from Ebay. You buy a .Mac box with a key, you use that key to activate a year's worth of .Mac access.

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

where do they get .Mac from for a cheaper rate ?

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I've purchased my last two .Mac renewals on eBay. The first one just emailed me the activation key, the second sent me the actual box (stickers!). As long as you feel they are reputable, you'll be fine.

5. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Use common sense and watch for typical eBay danger signs, but ...

I bought the .Mac family pack from a reputable seller on eBay at a significant discount and had no problem.

As for where they get them cheap...

one source is MUGs (Mac user groups)

6. mcmadhatter macrumors 6502

mcmadhatter

I was fine, just got the guy to email me the activation key, got it for 25% of the original uk cost!

7. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

so ... where do these ebayers get them from ? i could do with saving some money myself

8. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

It varies as there are many different types of sellers on eBay. Some are retail stores that offer things like .mac and applecare at a discount (even Amazon offers these each at a $20 discount) others are individuals like myself who purchased a .mac box for a xmas gift, decided not give it and rather then mail it back for a refund resold it unopened on eBay at a slight discount.

What type of person the seller is can vary greatly, sometimes it's a legit online or retail store with a return policy and will charge tax, sometimes it's a guy cleaning out his closet, and sometimes it's a jerk trying to make a quick buck and scam you, buyer beware:)