Dot Mac or Alternative

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sadsack, Mar 12, 2008.

1. sadsack macrumors member

I have been trailing dot mac and I do not really think it is very bad. Will I pay £69, probably not as I have family in the states who can pay $69 and just give me the registration number, that including tax comes to about £35. Now that does not sound too bad, but £69, seems steep. Can anyone else give me his or her opinion of this service? I use gmail and igoogle at present and find it is fine, up to a point. Too much, spam in gmail. I will continue o use blogspot and will make the most of the web gallery. Can anyone recommend alternatives to dot mac?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I would say that the best alternative to .Mac depends on what parts of it you actually used, and what you found lacking. For me, it was a lack of PHP and other server-side script support, so I switched to web hosting. Since I don't need the sync support .Mac has, the setup I use works perfectly for my needs (I do need bookmark synchronization across platforms, but there's a Firefox extension called Bookmark Sync and Sort that works perfectly for this).

3. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Exactly. If you're using everything .Mac has to offer, there is no alternative wrapped up nicely in a single package.

4. sadsack thread starter macrumors member

Well i suppose what i will use will be the mail, bookmarks, web gallery for sure and idisk. Is the mail spam free, at present i get loads on my gmail. I am hearing mixed stories so a bit confused. I assume there is no way of converting you homepage to not reference you as an individaual. So you can have a anonymous blog?

Thanks for all the quick responses.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Unfortunately, all I can tell you regarding spam is this: Don't let your email address leak into the spammers' lists. This is the best way to stop spam from reaching your inbox. That said... my .Mac account was spam-free for about 3 years, then all of a sudden I started getting 3 spam mails there per day. I think it was because I put a contact me link on my web site.:eek:

As for the blog issue - I have never used this particular feature, so I do not know how it works.