Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Normally I would not post a question like this, if only because .Mac services can be intermittent, but it appears that (for me at least) the outgoing mail server at .Mac (smtp.mac.com) is down, beginning last night. This was not supposed to happen along with the changeover to MobileMe, and the system status for .Mac makes no mention of a problem. Is anyone else experiencing this?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No, it's not down. I've been sending and receiving a lot, with no problems.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Something is definitely fouled up somewhere. The outgoing mail server at .Mac isn't working for me, and now Mail is falling back to the gmail server when I try to send .Mac mail. Everything I send from my .Mac address shows my gmail address on the From line. This should be fundamentally impossible, since smtp.mac.com is set as the outgoing mail server for my .Mac account, and the "Use only this server" option is checked.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Try changing the setting to me.com. It reportedly is working.

cyberbolt

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2007
.mac SMTP isn't working for me.

I've sent about 8 emails in the past 2 hours and none of them have been received.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It certainly is for some of us. I was able to send a mac.com e-mail from the web site, but from Mail, it is definitely not working.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Southern California.

Cannot send message using the server
smtp.mac.com:username

Sending the message content to the server failed.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be delivered.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I can send and receive. With the switch to MobileMe, it is to be expected.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
To make matters even worse, I tried sending myself a mac.com e-mail from my iPod. The mail was sent, but I guess it went straight to never-never land. An hour has gone by and I have not seen it. I don't know if this should be expected. The system status for .Mac reports everything as hunky-dory, when obviously it isn't.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
just sent an email to my ***** account using the smtp.me.com server and it went out fine.

I'm guessing there will be problems throughout the day depending on where your node is in the world.

Things should be fine by 6PM EDT

[edit] Apple is still using the .mac servers too. I looked at the long header sent from my .me account and it was a .mac server.
[/edit]

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
My mac.com e-mail has been totally screwed up since last night. If they don't have it straightened out by tomorrow morning, they'll be getting a nastygram from me.

deniser

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Cornwall, England
For the life of me I can not get my @me.com address to work in mail. I can get other accounts to send and receive. I can not get it to stay online and have a warning triangle next to the inbox and the smtp server says offline in brackets next to it. I have tried synching, deleting account re creating it etc I feel really fed up now

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'd say give it some time before you get too fed up. Still seems to be some bugs in the system, possibly more or less depending on where you live.

deniser

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Cornwall, England
I'd say give it some time before you get too fed up. Still seems to be some bugs in the system, possibly more or less depending on where you live.

According to the A GPS on my new 3g iPhone I live in a factory:D

No seriously, I live in West Cornwall, so maybe that's it. I have synched a PC with MM and the mail is working OK in outlook so who knows ???????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.