Dot Matrix printing still

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Supersonic, May 21, 2010.

1. Supersonic macrumors regular

As a last throw of the dice, thought i'd post a query to the forum..

Is anyone still using a dot matrix / impact printer on a current or recent-era Mac?? I've a need to use one for some multi-part stationery and plan on attaching it to an Intel iMac with MacOS 10.6

As it's currently attached to a grey-box G3 (which had the old 8 pin MiniDin serial socket) I'd hope that the Keyspan USB adaptor would link the old to the new, but whether anyones recently gone down this route or now, I'd like to hear from you?

Drivers concern me, but hope also that Imagewriter drivers or a generic printer driver will suffice?

Cheers in advance....a long shot but here's hoping!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There are still a few dot matrix printers out there being made as it's a very cheap way of printing. Excluding the business use variety your left with a few a4 and 1 or 2 a3 style of printers. Talking to the local guy at an office supply firm down the road Epsom have 2 models one a4 and one a3. Both work with osx.

3. Supersonic thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm...interesting.

I had an online chat with Epson yesterday and they said that none of their range supports 10.6, and Oki who I phoned direct said the same.

Is it possible that if would have worked under previous MacOS versions and that compatability has been retained??

4. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I think Epson and Oki meant that they won't support it with a driver. But there are open source drivers included in OS X for Epson 9 and 24-pin printers and Okidata 9 and 24-pin printers.