Dot on screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benguild, Jul 14, 2014.

1. benguild macrumors 6502a

I have a "dot" on my screen. It seems like something on the glass but it won't come off with isopropyl alcohol wipes.

Is there anything else I can try? Otherwise it might be a shorted pixel or something

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It could be a defect on the screen, a stuck pixel or even the coating wearing off.

Regarding the latter possible issue, I'd be very careful in trying to rub off that "dot" You may rub off the coating.

Without seeing it, its impossible to say for sure. Take a picture (not screen grab) and post it in the thread.

3. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

If it is a stuck or "dead" pixel it might be permanent.

One well known way to un-stuck "dead" pixels is to have the screen display the nothing but the color of the stuck pixel for a few hours and then switch it to some other color at the other end of the spectrum.

Also, if we could get a picture of it we might be able to make a more accurate assessment of what it is.

4. benguild thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a really small dot that I can feel with my fingernail. I don't know if I never noticed it, but it's passing light through it and simply won't come off with alcohol.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you can feel it, and light is passing through it, then its not a dot but a screen defect, either by manufacturing, or by it incurring some damage