OS X Dota 2 Mac test client now available!

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by TheGreatWumpus, Jul 10, 2013.

1. TheGreatWumpus macrumors regular

TheGreatWumpus

Woohoo! The Dota 2 Mac test client is now available! Just open up Steam and install the sucker. Its 3.4GB, only took me 5 minutes. (thank you broadband.) I've put nearly 300 hours into the windows beta, and I've been playing HoN since 2009. HUGELY stoked for this as I'm such a big fan. I'm a pretty good player, or at least I like to think so.

Will be putting out some informational and gameplay related videos soon for those interested. :)

There's a forum for posting feedback and bugs: http://dev.dota2.com/forumdisplay.php?f=447 you will need to register. Its quick. Then they want you to prove you have Dota 2. I've had it since the beta..so I can't say if just getting it now will prove it. I assume it will.

Anyone else here excited for this?

2. TheGreatWumpus, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013

TheGreatWumpus thread starter macrumors regular

TheGreatWumpus

Fail :p I'm getting a "missing executable" error when trying to launch. Not sure what's going on there, will have to wait and see.

*EDIT*

The game just did a 315mb update and now its launching. :)

3. saotomefirst macrumors regular

Thanks for letting me know! Downloading it right away :D

4. Dirtyharry50, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013

Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Sadly my worry with games like this is that they are not newbie friendly and I don't tolerate abuse well. For some reason, people expect you to enter the game already knowing the same things somebody who's played for years knows which of course is just not possible. :(

5. NickRichyRich macrumors member

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up I am going to have to give this a try!

Thanks!

6. TheGreatWumpus thread starter macrumors regular

TheGreatWumpus

Its true a lot of the DOTA 2 community (or MOBA) community can be pretty toxic in general. However Valve has been strict about player abuse, and has implemented a good system where you can commend people for being nice and friendly, and report players who are abusive. Abusive players receive bans and get stuff like their chat or voice removed.

Otherwise there is a really good tutorial that's several parts long teaching you a lot about the game mechanics. While nothing trumps experience (It took me 6-12 months to start getting any good at moba games) there is a gentler learning curve. Dota 2 doesn't seem to have any kind of matchmaking system that ranks new vs new, pro vs pro, but your best bet is to play with friends or someone who knows what they are doing and can give you advice.

7. p3ncil macrumors regular

just downloaded the client.
    able to enter the game!

8. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Thanks. That's good to know. Maybe I will give it a spin at some point then.

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Cool, I just got the email saying I got in (was on the queue earlier). Never played DotA before but I played LoL quite extensively and know what the community will be like. Just ignore people who verbally abuse you, don't fight back and report them as soon as you can.

10. MercenaryTX macrumors newbie

Downloaded Dota2 and played for first time. Wow they weren't kidding the learning curve is steep. I thought some LoL knowledge would help. Ha!!
    The beta client is quite buggy. There is some dark streak across the screen that seems to be tracking the mouse.

11. c1phr macrumors 6502

I'm way excited about this since the Windows version seems to crash a ton on my desktop. I'll be able to get rid of my Bootcamp partition as soon as this moves out of beta!

12. MercenaryTX macrumors newbie

Knowing Valve that could be 3 years from now on a new machine.

13. c1phr macrumors 6502

I know :( My hopes aren't too high.

14. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

Thanks for this information. I will try it. I am aware the game is not forgiving at all on new players like League of Legends is. But it's worth a try I guess.

15. Nuttydev macrumors 6502

Dota 2 (not test) just popped up in my games list.

16. c1phr macrumors 6502

I just noticed the same thing, and I'm downloading it now!

17. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

I got a nice DOTA 2 glass last week! Thanks Valve :)

[​IMG]

18. twombles62, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013

twombles62 macrumors member

How do people find the performance of the main client? Mine's definitely worse than in Bootcamp. I can get 30-40fps with all settings off, textures medium 1440x900 on my 13" rMBP. However, the graphics are noticeably worse at the same resolution than in Bootcamp. Something to do with the Retina screen I'd think.

19. TheGreatWumpus thread starter macrumors regular

TheGreatWumpus

:eek: how does one get a DOTA 2 glass?

20. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Hmm... Vodka at work???

:D

21. c1phr macrumors 6502

The settings might not perfectly translate across the clients because the OSX version is running OpenGL and the Windows version runs on DirectX, so "all settings off" might look different for that reason.

That said, I can get decent graphics quality on my 2010 MBP and I get pretty similar if not better performance in OSX.

22. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

I think you need to meet some Valve people face to face and have them give you a few goodies :)

Not in that glass just plain old water but we do have a bottle of Chilli vodka we got some as a gift from development friends that's sat in one of the cupboards ;)

Edwin

23. 50548 Guest

And what's that game about? Any similar examples? Does it require subscriptions or any such crap?

24. nyteowl9 macrumors newbie

if you're wondering about DOTA 2 having a subscription, you really don't know much about gaming do you? lol

dota is a MOBA (multiplayer online battle arena) most of them are free to play, which means if you want cosmetic/vanity items you have to pay, but if you don't care about any of that stuff you can keep playing for free.

dota 2 is better than league of legends, why? because all the "heroes" are unlocked once you start, there is also a courier that runs towards you to give you items... in league of legends you have to portal back all the time.

blizzard is also making a moba called blizzard all stars. which will be free to play as well.

and uhm... the official client (non test client) is out

25. TheGreatWumpus thread starter macrumors regular

TheGreatWumpus

Yes it is out..and its even more buggy than the test client. The moment I click "play game" it crashes to desktop every time.

Right now I'm just playing in the test client with or vs friends and bots. Not the same, but better than nothing. Waiting for valve to patch the main client.