Dotted metal plate under batter in aluminum Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ahm, Feb 14, 2009.

1. ahm macrumors member

What is that plate under the battery? It's silver, with raised dots all over it and green under it.

I kind of got blood on it...

It's right in the center, with the blue-green triangles. Is that just the bottom half of the trackpad? I cleaned it, gently, with a mild alcohol based lens cleaner (sprayed on a cloth first to barely moisten it)

[​IMG]

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes, I believe that is the underside of the trackpad.

I'm not going to ask for any details on the blood story. :rolleyes:

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

yes, it's the bottom of the trackpad. Did you stub your finger on something while trying to upgrade your RAM??!!

4. aluminumapple macrumors regular

5. ahm thread starter macrumors member

That's a picture from a blog/article on disassembling the macbook. I wish I had 4gb.

I'm not sure what happened. I removed the battery, then tried taking out the hard drive, then noticed a tiny red dot on the back of the case. I looked around and notice a large drop of blood on (what I now know is...) the back of the trackpad, then I realized my pinkie was bleeding at the knuckle. I didn't feel anything, so it must have been something pretty sharp. I think it was the edge, where the battery/hdd cover plate meets the case.

Oh... and why was I trying to open it up? I live in the bay area, where we have loads of Argentine ants. My crappy apartment has been infested lately, more so since it's been raining. I noticed one on my screen last night, blew it off, then it came back. I tried to get rid of it but I thought I saw it crawl into the computer, under the screen... behind the hinge. So I wanted to get it out. :eek:

I freaked out when I got blood all over my brand new macbook, so I just stopped there. I'm usually really good with disassembling computers. But this one is just way too expensive for me to bleed all over.

Anyway, do you think it will lead to any problems? It seems fine, but I'm still a little worried.

6. Stachelsk macrumors regular

It shouldn't have any ill-effects... I wouldn't think.

You can use the purest isopropyl alcohol you can find (anything > 80% is okay, 99% is best) and a couple of q-tips to clean it in you really want to. That will definitely clean it off enough so that you don't have to worry about it. You could use water or something else to clean it as well, but you'd have to wait a couple days until it's completely dry (which is why the purest isopropyl alcohol is the best... it evaporates so quickly)