Double Activation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CyberEv88, Jul 8, 2007.

1. CyberEv88 macrumors newbie

Alright so I bought my iPhone yesterday, although my contract with Verizon doesn't end until the end of the month. I would like to use the phone as an iPod/internet until I can port my number over. I wouldn't mind paying $60 until then for the cheapest plan. Does anyone know if I can activate iPhone now and then re-activate it under a different number at the end of the month (which would cancel the current plan, but make a new 2 year agreement under the new number)? I would be getting a normal family plan and then adding the iPhone option for $30 a month.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i can't exactly answer your question, but i bought a sony-ericsson under cingular a few years back while i was still with sprint. it was cheaper to stay with sprint until the contract expired than it was to terminate the contract and pay the penalty. i was working with two numbers until the sprint contract expired, and i simply ported the number over. it was relatively hassle-free.

3. jwtseng macrumors member

Activate your iPhone using the GoPhone Pick Your Plan option. This will be $50 a month prepaid with no contract. Apparently you can cancel the plan right away and be left with a functional iPhone (minus the cellular service). Then once your Verizon contract finishes, you can reactivate your iPhone with the GoPhone prepaid option again or the 2-yr contract plan if you like.

4. CyberEv88 thread starter macrumors newbie

^ I was thinking about that, but I don't want to put in a fake SSN and then have a failed credit check attached to my account.

5. zelman macrumors member

Just get the iphone set up with whatever plan, and when your other contract is over (call them to verify; you CANNOT do this even a day early) call AT&T and tell them you need to port your number over from your old carrier. When they do this, it will cancel your old account.