Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xploit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Had this problem a couple days ago. The phone does the alert associated with a text or facebook post but doubles the alert so it almost sounds like two messages coming together at once. When this first started happening I turned the phone off and then back on and it was fixed but today it is back again. Any ideas?

X-

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I have a feeling it has to do with merged accounts and syncing your phone to itunes or icloud.

I had this issue, just deleted all my push email accounts, facebook notifications etc and app, redownloaded and resetup everything...then did not merge them on next sync, no issue...the merging to icloud seems to be the issue I saw

it took me like 5 min to fix this, all it took was just time to setup everything again.

xploit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
I have a feeling it has to do with merged accounts and syncing your phone to itunes or icloud.

I had this issue, just deleted all my push email accounts, facebook notifications etc and app, redownloaded and resetup everything...then did not merge them on next sync, no issue...the merging to icloud seems to be the issue I saw

it took me like 5 min to fix this, all it took was just time to setup everything again.

I have not sync .. ideas?

xploit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
you using iCloud?

When you say that what exactly do you mean? Its activated but I am not sure what you mean by using it. Sorry.

----------

When you say that what exactly do you mean? Its activated but I am not sure what you mean by using it. Sorry.

Also why would turning the phone on and off temp fix the issue? I got normal lerts this morning and then all of a sudden double facebook alerts and double text alerts.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Are you backuping up your phone via icloud or wireless syincing. You might have merged accounts which double them up. I would suggest just re-downloading every app that is being doubled up, and setting up their notifications again. Then I would go into icloud and sync it after eveyrhting is right, and when prompted for merging, don't do it.

xploit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Are you backuping up your phone via icloud or wireless syincing. You might have merged accounts which double them up. I would suggest just re-downloading every app that is being doubled up, and setting up their notifications again. Then I would go into icloud and sync it after eveyrhting is right, and when prompted for merging, don't do it.

Would I have been prompted to do this? I have not done any of that to my knowledge.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
This was done during the initial setup/activation process of the 4S.

You might have done it without even realizing or noticing it.

xploit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
This was done during the initial setup/activation process of the 4S.

You might have done it without even realizing or noticing it.

It was set up in the store and after that everything was fine.. then a few days later it started. The double alerts are for texts and facebook posts and after turning the phone on and off a few days ago it has now started again. Mail alert is fine.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Oh ok, then a hard reset should do the trick.

Hold down the sleep/shutoff button and home button until the phone shuts off, you will see the normal red slide button to turn off, wait until the phone shuts off, which occurs after this shows up.

This is comparable to a computer restart to fix any issues/bugs in the OS...hopefully this fixes it permanently instead of temp like last time

a hard reset is different than shutting it off and on.

xploit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Also just tried deleting facebook and that did not do anything, I re-installed and still same problem, IDEAS anyone??

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
do the hard reset, its a computer restart for the iphone...google it if you don't believe me, it solves most issues, its like a battery pull reset for blackberries..

edit: did you try, any luck?

Last edited:

xploit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
do the hard reset, its a computer restart for the iphone...google it if you don't believe me, it solves most issues, its like a battery pull reset for blackberries..

edit: did you try, any luck?

I will try but I am wondering why this is a problem that manifests over time. I am sure the hard reset will fix it initially as will just turning my phone off and then on but then days later it occurs again.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Yeah, this could be a bug that the reset can fix, or this can be recurring because of some setting...if it happens again, after the hard reset then I would suggest either calling apple support to see if they have any info on it, re-install the iOS as a new iphone

One question, did you use backups from an iphone 4 or 3gs, or start a new iphone?

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
I will try but I am wondering why this is a problem that manifests over time. I am sure the hard reset will fix it initially as will just turning my phone off and then on but then days later it occurs again.

I noticed it on mine as well. I'd get the same text message alerts pop up twice.

I think it's software related since I have Repeating Alerts set to Never.

Hopefully this is on the list of items that are being looked at and will be addressed in the next update.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
I have been screaming over the top of my voice that this is a software bug. I did factory reset, did a restore and set up as new phone. But alerts start becoming choppy after 1-2 days. Then I reboot my phone and problem returns again after 1-2 days.

xploit

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
I have been screaming over the top of my voice that this is a software bug. I did factory reset, did a restore and set up as new phone. But alerts start becoming choppy after 1-2 days. Then I reboot my phone and problem returns again after 1-2 days.

CRAP! I just got off the phone with Apple support and they had me do a restore. I am just finishing up with that. ALSO When I got my 4S home I did restore contacts and photographs from iTunes. Not sure of that is significant or not but since you all are having similar issues maybe it is indeed a problem that is software native.

X-

deejhorton

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
New feature in Notifications

Settings >> Notifications >> Messages

One of the new settings for messages is "Repeat Alert". Mine was set to "twice" as a factory default. I changed it to never.

captsanner295

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2010
Settings >> Notifications >> Messages

One of the new settings for messages is "Repeat Alert". Mine was set to "twice" as a factory default. I changed it to never.

This has nothing to do with the issues. This just means the sound will go off a second time say in 3 minutes to remind you. Not the alert instantly going off on top of itself twice as the OP stated.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
I, too, am getting this error. Before I installed the iOS 5 beta, I was using the MobileNotifier app from Cydia on a jailbroken iPhone. Oddly enough, I got double alerts with that. Now that I have iOS5 (non-developer version), I am also getting double alerts.

My theory is that it has something to do with the new notification center.

gagandeep90

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
Has this issue been resolved yet? I still get this stumbling alerts.

Thanks

check the following post

----------

There is a fix posted for this issue where you do not need to turn off vibrate or turn off view in lock screen. Go to the following link to read it. http://iostricks.com/double-text-message-ringtone-fix-iphone-4s-and-iphone-4-131

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.