Double applications in "Open With" context menu

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cowm007, Apr 7, 2007.

1. cowm007 macrumors regular

I'm having a small Finder problem lately. Apps have been appearing twice under the "Open With" menu when you ctrl+click on a file. You can see what I mean in the screenshot:
    [​IMG]
    I've opened the file with each program and found where the app reference is. GoLive and Dreamweaver are fine since they are only listed once. Opera is fine too, since one refers to the Opera in the Apps folder, and the other to the Opera in the CS3 bridge folder. However TextMate points to the same app in the Applications folder. Same problem happens for many other file types.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this issue? It might be important to note that I recently purchased SuperDuper! backup program which clones your HD. I have a feeling it might be related in some way to that, but I'm not sure really. It'd also be great to know if those app choices are indexed by spotlight or if there is some file where the app list is kept so that it could be edited. Thanks.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Try rebuilding LaunchServices. If you're comfortable with Terminal, you can use the hint outlined here. If you'd prefer something with a graphical interface, the maintenance app MainMenu can do this for you.

3. cowm007 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip. That solved everything. Just wanted to add that I looked for launchservices related info on the web and found this link http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/resetlaunchservices.html and it was a good way to do it without the terminal commands as well.

4. povman macrumors member

I know this has been solved already, but for the sake of searchers:

I have an NFS mount where I once backed up all my /Applications, so my right click menu usually gets one from /Applications, and one from the backup on the NFS mount. These go away when I unmount! ps is there a solution to this?