Double chaaraacterss when typing??

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jimbobjoe, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Jimbobjoe macrumors newbie

I've had an iPad for about a month and have the problem of characters being typed twice when using the on-screen keyboard. It doesn't alwayss happen, but when it doess it is generally either the ss, a, or l. I have had a screen protector on and thought that was causing the problem, but have since taken it off for the lasst week but the problem persists.

I haavent edited this post sso you can see How often it happens, and alot of the previouss haass been auto spell checked so it iss much more frequent then even thiss posst indicates. I'm not "hanging on" to thesse specific letters ass I type, and am aat aa loss. Do I just have aa dud and should return it or is there something Im missing here?

Thankss

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Has this been an issue since you first bought the iPad? Or did it appear sometime later? Does it make a difference if you are in portrait or landscape mode (if it occurs in landscape, what if you rotate your screen 180 degrees so that the keyboard is now on the other side; do you still have the problem)?

3. Jimbobjoe thread starter macrumors newbie

It has been a problem since I got it. I put a screen protector on day 1 and assssumed that was the problem and figured I needed to give the protector more time to "set". The problem seems somewhat intermittent, and/or I don't type that much so just put up with it. After a month I got fed up and removed the protector expecting the problem problem to cease.

Interesting question. I didn't even think about screen orientation. I never type in portrait and just tried it but there seems to be no issue. Also tried in both landscapes and it seems fine with the home button on the left, but the problem persists with button on right. This would probably explain the intermittent occurrence. So I assume it has to be a problem with the screen or internal touch interface in that area of screen?

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Give it a few days to really ensure that only one orientation is giving you problems. If after a few days you're convinced that it's only an issue with the home Button on the right, then contact Apple. I suspect you'll need a repair.

Typically I would recommend a Restore to confirm a hardware issue, but if it's only on one side there's really no other explanation.